Pages

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Checking In/SATC thoughts

So I have gotten some emails and comments about what I thought about the SATC movie. I know you are all just DYING to know what I think, right? And I have had a few days of sitting aroung the apartment to think about what I really thought about it. So here goes.

First of all I think I saw it in the best possible setting: some girlfriends and I got all dolled up and went to see it the day it opened and there was a lot of girl power in the audience and you could tell everyone was so excited which I loved. I don't think there was one straight man in there but there were quite a few fierce and turned out gay boyfriends (including our own, Andy). That being said, it was very cute and I loved it but I didn't have quite the emotional reaction everyone else did. I did not cry, nor did I come that close to crying. Everyone I went with sobbed at various times throughout the movie and I kept turning to them asking myself "Do I have a heart of stone?". Evidently!

I think part if not all of this is that I am not at ALL into the Carrie/Mr Big relationship. In fact at the end, in the closet, when he asks her that question and she gives him her answer I said aloud "What an idiot". I could not help myself!

SPOILER ALERT/RANT

I seriously will never understand the allure of Mr Big. The first time he screwed Carrie over I was over him and have never been back on board. I am like this in real life too, if one of my friends is dicked over by a guy I will hate that guy forever. And so it is with Big. He is a man that I could see maybe sharing a cigar with but I would never wish the likes of him on myself or any of my friends. I think everyone knows a Mr Big or two..you know, men who are like "I am never going to compromise and will always be a dick because I know there will always be a woman who I can treat like crap and who will still bend over backwards for me so I don't have to change" and frankly that kind of guy makes me sick. I didn't at all understand what was so romantic about the "love letters" he emailed Carrie. Wow, he cut and pasted a bunch of love letters other people wrote and that Carrie told him about. WOW. How Romantic. And basically what I got from that story line was, he didn't want to have the kind of wedding Carrie wanted and instead of ever bringing it up like a normal person he acted like a baby and humiliated her in the worst way possible...and then after all that in the end she agrees to just marry him at City Hall like he always wanted! This is why I could not stop myself from saying WHAT AN IDIOT. I know a lot of people find this romantic and defend Mr Big and that's fine. I just think he is a total douche.

END SPOILER/RANT

Seriously my favorite relationship in SATC has always been those four girlfriends and their relationships with each other ESPECIALLY Carrie and Miranda. And for that reason I still loved this movie very much despite disliking the Carrie/Big stuff. I would reccomend anyone who loves the show to see the movie and even if you haven't, they do a pretty good job of getting you quickly up to speed.

P.S. I LOVE Jennifer Hudson!

18 comments:

kolls said...

I 100% agree - SUCH a douche. Team Aiden all the way (if Carrie weren't such an idiot)!

RED said...

I actually like Big and Carrie - loved the way the series ended (I'm of the Aiden for me, Big for Carrie camp) BUT I could not get past his eyebrows! I don't know why but they really irritated me - why bother with the facelift/whatever surgery...I don't know, I just found them very distracting.
I thought the movie was good but the 'flow' was off - some parts seemed too slow andothers seemed too fast. And I told my girlfriend when Carrie was trying to guess the password at the end that if it was love I was going to get up and leave - oh! andit was love - didn't see that coming, right? OK - I might have to post about this...sorry I wrote so much and didn't even really comment on the Big/Carrie wedding deal (I agree with you - and I was dissappointed to have them break up - yet again! I'm exhausted!!)

Mandy said...

I totally agree--Big is a douche and not worth Carrie's time of day, much less the years of her life she's been wasting with all this turmoil. A lasting relationship should not be this hard. Big is just not marriage material and this has been painfully obvious for the last, what, five years?

Anonymous said...

omg I am totally with you on the Carrie & Big thing. I mean .. why would you go back to that?! my girlfriends all said... they had to end up together that's the point of the whole show.

and I mean really.. just get out of the car if you need to see her so badly before the wedding gosh!

but like you... i still loved the movie!

Sarah said...

Haha Rhoobs, I know! "Come on baby, look at me". Get out of the car you weenie!!

To Be Announced said...

THANK YOU!

That was exactly what I meant last week when I said there was one thing I needed your opinion on. I loved the rest of the movie but I did not want her to get back with Big! The "love letter" were silly...

Anonymous said...

Oh holy f&@%!!! Thank the lord! For a moment there I almost thought I went crazy. I was seeming to be the only person I know who didn't love it, and the only one who didn't cry! I now feel better.

Thanks for that, and I couldn't agree more with the Mr.Big situation. He makes me ill. I mean really.... what are we 10? Does she have to talk him into being married every 20 minutes? Uggg, he is so emotionally impotent! She should have run the other way the first time he acted like an idiot, years ago.

PS I really hate that I "hated" it. I had such huge expectations.

Becky said...

I loved the movie, so much more than I thought I would. I actually didn't cry during the Mr Big scenes, I cried with the friendship scenes. When Carrie came over to Miranda's apt for New years - I bawled. When Samantha fed yogurt to Carrie, I died. Girlfriends make everything possible. boys are just icing.

Anonymous said...

You're the only person I've ever met with the same SATC opinion as me!!! Yeay! Whenever I say anything out loud though, I usually have 10 girls looking at me like I'm an alien.
I agree with you 100% = I hate Mr. Big and I think Carrie is an idiot. You know what my reaction to the series finale was? Me angrily stating, "She hasn't learned a thing in 6 years!"
And why on earth would you agree to marry him again after what he did to you??? Even if you're dumb as a post, that should be a deal-braker. (You being his third marriage should've been a bit of a tip-off anyway.)
You know which storyline made me cry, though? Miranda and Steve. I'm starting to identify with them more than any other characters. Minus the accidental baby and the Cheaty McCheaterson bit. Lol.

Ang said...

I agree with you that the movie was enjoyable, definitely, especially since we have all seen every episode 500 times and just to watch more unknown SATC was such a treat! BUT with that said, how predictable was it?!?! I mean we all knew that her getting married within the first 30 minutes was just not going to work out. I would have liked to see Aidan come back, have his marriage on the rocks and then they have a nice little affair, THEN she goes back to Big.
The movie was good, just not great and I still would like to remember the series finale as the end, because that still gives me goosebumps everytime I watch that last scene where she walks into the diner and surprises the girls. You are right that the most important relationship she has is with her friends!

k e r r y said...

I used to think Big was handsome now I think he looks like that muppets character the bald eagle... do you know who I am talking about? I loved how Carrie totally cut him off there for a while...

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I saw it on Tuesday night and although enjoyed it, I didn't think it was as epic as I imagined. I agree that I didn't like the Big/Carrie "happy ending" but loved seeing the realtionships between the characters again. I did however love the Miranda/Steve happy ending. Jennifer Hudson as fabulous and brought so much to the movie too.

Sarah said...

I LOVE Miranda and Steve and I have never before thought I would get behind a woman taking her husband back after what he did but I surprisingly was rooting for her to do so THE WHOLE TIME and the bridge scene was one of the best scenes in the whole movie, if you ask me!

MegFordice said...

Yes, SATC movie talk!

Things I really liked:

SPOILERS

1. When they go to Mexico, and Carrie goes into the bathroom and washes her face. The camera pans in for a close up, and it 'aint pretty. You see her without makeup and all her wrinkles. I'm glad that they didn't try to make her look "pretty" in that very sad scene. It was real.

2. The clothes, the shoes, the hair, the makeup. It was a VISUAL FEAST. I wanted to stop the movie in the theater at various parts, so I could study the dress that so and so was wearing.

3. The closet that Big built. When he takes her to the apartment and opens the DOUBLE CLOSET DOORS, and you see the inside, everyone in the theater gasped. Literally gasped. It was the most beautiful closet I've ever seen.

4. Jennifer Hudson is one hot bitch. Not that great of an actress, but I could stare at her and her amazing rack all day.

Anonymous said...

The bridge scene was the only part that I cried during the whole movie!
(Other than Carrie showing up at Miranda's for New Year's).

jillskict said...

I agree. And the feather/bird? YUCK! I also think that Samantha was a total sellout. That ticked me off too! I love Charlotte though and she totally cracks me up.

Rebecca said...

Ugh, I've never liked Mr Big. He was my least favorite. I'm almost dreading see the movie because of him and her being all schmoopy.

I mean I loved the finale and how they ended up after all, but I just never cared for him.

Anonymous said...

See, for me, although I totally rolled my eyes during the scene that Samantha was all "I cooked all day for you and waited for you..."-(so nothing Samantha would EVER say)- the scene I cried the most at was when she broke it off with Smith!!

Am I the only person who thinksn that Carrie's Gladiator Sandal Heels are atrocious?!?!? I know they have also been seen on a lot of stars lately, but.....