Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Through the Beers

If you know me, you know I am not really a beer drinker.

I tend not to enjoy it. Not the taste of it. Not the carbonation. Not really any of it.

But I do try, I dabble in fruity beers and have discovered that some wheat beers really are kind of delicious.

I blame my lack of beervoire-faire on the fact that for the early portions of my drinking life, I drank really really shitty beer.

Age 18 - I spent the entire summer working at the summer camp I attended as a younger gal with a bunch of my camp friends. On the few nights off we had that summer, I became well acquainted with Bud Light. I distinctly remember an ill-fated house party in New Rochelle, New York that cumulated with my friend Kristen and I being so psyched that"OMG we just drank ten beers". The repercussions of that night were far reaching meaning I made out with my friend Beth MUCH older brother's friend, my friend Holly snapped a picture of it (we were embroiled in an epic Prank War which I eventually lost!)) and then sent them out to all of our friends as Christmas Cards later that year with the caption Ho Ho Ho. Oh Bud Light, look what you did to me!

Age 19-20 - The Slamherst years when I honed my drinking skills at Umass Amherst on such gourmet brews as Milwaukee's Best, and Milwaukee's Best Light (known is social circles as Beast and Beast Light). Beer that goes down so easily can never lead to good things, and pretty much never did. Hence my scholarly endeavors at this university ended too soon as I transferred to UMASS Boston where at least I could intersperse my partying with the occasional class

Since then, I have not really been a beer drinker. Brief interludes with Sam Summer and Paper City's One Eared Monkey aside. My beer drinking is so rare that over the weekend while visiting our niece, Adam's brother began taking pictures of me enjoying a Sam Summer rather than Adam holding the baby, because LOOK SARAH IS DRINKING A BEER!!

Woah.

But this fall, a change, it is a brewin'.

While at Marty's on Saturday evening, my eyes fell upon their newly released selection of fall beers. Aside from being psyched that the best season ever will be so soon upon us, the understated packaging of the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale spoke to me and I found myself purchasing a four pack before the night was through. I figured if I don't like it, Adam probably will.

But MAN is it good. Wow. Spicy. Pumpkin-y. Fall-ish < -- total technical beer term. I enjoyed it with some dried apricots on Saturday night and was in total beer love. It wasn't just like "Ok, I am drinking a beer. Now Adam can't bitch that he drinks wine for me but I won't drink beer for him". I mean I really enjoyed it. A lot. It was a total beerpiphany. So then the next day I was at my parent's, exclaiming proudly to my brother that I think I am becoming a beer drinker again, he told me "you have to try this" and handed me a bottle of Grant's Mandarin Hefeweizen that he had just picked up a 6 pack off. I brought it home and stuck it in the fridge and when I popped it open later that night I was really surprised at how juicy and MANDARIN-y it was. Not really too beery at all, which for me - someone who is not the biggest beer fan- is not a drawback. It was definitely a beer to drink ice cold at a hot end of summer party.

So that is the update over here, my second or third attempt to enjoy beer is going well and I am always on the hunt for good recommendations ESPECIALLY for spicy fall beers! So lay it on me.



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sound really delicious. I like to drink New Belgium Skinny Dip every now and then. (http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_skinnydip.php). It tastes good to me, but then again I like beer in general. More than anything, I am a sucker for the packaging of some of these specialty beers--so cute!

Anonymous said...

No to sound like a crazy stalker, but I am just curious because you mentioned New Rochelle and I grew up in Rye and now live in Quincy, so I was curious to know if you grew up there? Jenny

Sarah said...

Mandy - the cute packaging gets me too, I have to confess! with beer AND wine.

Jenny - it's def. not stalkerish! I grew up around here but one of my camp friends lived in New Rochelle so we went there for Nights-off sometimes!

Anonymous said...

You just made me excited for Sam Adams Octoberfest, which should be coming out next month. It's my favoritest. Might be a little heavy for your tastes, but if you like autumnal beers it's worth a sip or two!

J said...

It's not a summer beer, but I LOVE Red Hook's Sunrye beer. I'm not a big fan of "good" beers (with the exception of Sam Summer) but I really like the Sunrye.

tangerine girl said...

I fell in love with pumpkin beers last fall. Trouble is, it seems I wasn't alone and they went fast. "Buy Early, Buy Often" is my motto for this year!

Stacey said...

I'm so proud of you, Sarah. :)

I agree with you & with the other ladies - pumpkin beers are yummy. I like the Dogfish Head and I also like Post Road Pumpkin Ale (Brooklyn Brewery).

With my Scottish connections, I can never turn down a good Scottish ale - Belhaven's is the real deal, but Sam Adams does a good American version.

Smuttnose Brewery's Old Brown Dog Ale might go over well, also. Good luck! :)

A said...

You've got to try Blue Moon if you like wheat beers. I'm not a huge wheat beer fan, but I do like that one. Especially with a slice of orange in it - YUM.

I'm going to think of some more and come back - because I think I may have drank one too many tonight. :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for the suggestions girls! I will be looking into these when I hit up Marty's today.

And a - I have had Blue Moon with an orange (it's one of my faves) and you are right - it is delicious!

And Stacey I will def. be checking out that Scotch Ale.

Also on the fruit beer?Sam tip - a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat with a lime slice in it = DIVINE!

Anonymous said...

I remembered another one that you might like, but it's best to wait for the winter/Christmas season for this one... Harpoon Winter Warmer. It has a hint of GINGERBREAD. mmmm... You can really only have 1 or 2 at a time, but it's so delicious!

Stacey said...

A site that might help you on your newfound good beer quest - http://beeradvocate.com. Happy Hunting! :)

K said...

wow -- so many recommendations:

- Try some of the Trappist ales such as Rochfort 8 or Chimay. They're a bit more pricey but they definitely have that spice characteristic (Rochfort more than Chimay in my opinion) - beware the blue label Chimay as it's very malty and can be realy sweet (You might want to check out Orval and Duvel as well)
- Racer 5 IPA is a nice citrusy IPA. Though it's hoppy, you can really taste the citrus flavors (not sure if it gets all the way over to MA)
- Franiskaner Hef is a popular one though I'm not a fan of wheat beers... (not sure if I spelled it right)
- New Belgian's 1554 or Krusovice's dark beer might be good to taste. They're like german Bock beers and are more spice/coffee flavored beers.
- Lambics like Lindemans Kriek, Cassis or Framboise would be good for something fruity. I'd go with Lindemans over Cantillion if you're not used to traditional Lambics (think sour but SOSOSOSOSO good....)

Okay, I'm a total beer nerd so I can totally go on. Email me if you want more info. Beer Advocate can be really helpful too!

Anonymous said...

Abita's Purple Haze is a great summer fruity beer. It's kind of a raspberry flavor to it.

Anonymous said...

I love Magic Hat No. 9. I recommend it. Probably not super fruity but has a dash of apricot. The beer is brewed in VT.

Britt said...

The hubby and I had the exact same beer relationship when we started dating. He did a little jig when I branched out of my once in awhile Bud Light. He pushed me towards Blue Moon at first and I enjoyed the orange/fruity flavor. Now, I'm more apt to try and enjoy brewed beers. Our local place had a pumpkin spice ale that I cannot wait for it to come around again! Let us know whats good!

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of beer, but not the fruity kind (pumpkin-flavored beer in particular makes me cringe). However, at a Sam Adams Brewery tour a while ago, I tried the Cherry Wheat and loved it. I like to pick up a six-pack of that once in a while. It's excellent.

By the way, I have not forgotten about your dbar double-date idea. I think it would be a lot of fun, I just have to find a time when Liza and I can both have a night off together.

Sarah said...

YES blog double date! I g-mailed you.

Anonymous said...

You should DEFINITELY try Wachusett Blueberry, and actually put some blueberries in it. You may think it sounds weird, but everyone who tries it falls in love!! The Brewhouse in Weymouth serves it. Also, if you like Pumpkin Ales, There is one brand thats really good. It has the headless horseman on the packaging. It may actually be pumpkin head brand?? In the winter you MUST try rock bottom's Rudolph's Red Ale. They even put a yummy cinnamon/brown sugar coating on the rim of your glass. YUM!!

Kimba said...

That is going to be a must try, though I already know i'll like it!