Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Fashion MacGyver: The Office Edition

No matter how well prepared you consider yourself to be, stuff happens. And in no other place does "stuff happen" more frequently than in the office. A button pops off your blouse. Your nail polish chips. A run in your nylons. All life changing events, all totally manageable with a little creativity and access to some basic office supplies.

1) Envelope Moistener

A staple for anyone who mails anything, this handy little tube of mild adhesive has another purpose as well: stopping runs in nylons! Just discreetly dab a little blob of this stuff at the end of the run and you will be good to go for the rest of the day. And it has no scent unlike clear nail polish. And coworkers in general don't appreciate the small of nail polish as I learned in the Can I Get Away With Giving Myself a Manicure At Work episode of 2003. (I can't).

2)Paper Clip

Offers many more uses than just clipping paper. It serves as a very handy necklace clasp when your original clasp breaks. I have also used it to lengthen a necklace when one that felt okay in the beginning of the day slowly chokes me by lunchtime. This can also be used as a bobby pin in a pinch. I know at the end of the day my side swept bangs are more like murder inducing bangs and I have tucked them behind my ear, bent a paper clip in place, pulled the rest of my hair around it and no one has been the wiser. This is especially handy for me because I suffer from CBLS (Constant Bobbypin Loss Syndrome). Even when I buy the 100 packs. Those suckers are gone in 2 weeks.

3)Sharpies

There are more to sharpies than a cheap high when you are feeling low. They offer a quick fix for chipped manicures. I sport red nails quite often, and there is nothing quite as demoralizing as looking down at your fresh manicure and seeing a chip. Well, a little scribble with your red sharpie and it looks as good as new. For you french manicure fans, a dab of whiteout will do the same for you. And a black sharpie is handy for touching up the scuffed heel of a black pump. Okay, I stole that from Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, but if you can't trust a prostitute for fashion tips, who can you trust?

4) Diaper-like Maxi Pads

This is the part where I may freak you out.In my office building, whoever stocks the bathroom "feminine products" dispenser is under the illusion that a maxipad and a diaper should be able to do the same things. They serve a purpose though, other than for desperate girls at a desperate time of the month. They are FABULOUS blister protectors for new shoe woes. If you open one up and snip off about 3 inches off one end, then affix the sticky side on the inside of your shoe, up against the heel, you will feel a great difference and no one will be the wiser! They stay put all day, and hey if you happened to get a scented one that's like a little bonus. I would warn you that if you share this trick in the ladies room with a coworker, modify the statement "I'm going to use this pad for a painful blister" to include that the blister is on your FOOT lest you start rampant Syph rumors.

5)Stapler

What looks like a stapler is also a handy pant-hemming device and a quick fix for missing shirt buttons. A quick staple and you have solved the low-cut wrap dress conundrum. And the best part is that since staples are so small, when you get home you can remove the staple and there is hardly any damage to the piece of clothing you stapled!

Now if only I could find an office fix for an annoying coworker. I'm thinking it might involve the heavy duty paper cutter and a mishap with his favorite tie.....

11 comments:

To Be Announced said...

I think that shows a lot of restraint. I thought you were going the thumbtack-on-chair route. :)

kate.d. said...

brilliant! you are a modern day MacGyver. i wonder with the sharpie touch up, though, does nail polish remover take that off too? or when i get around to finally scrubbing my nails clean three weeks later, will i have a permanent red stain on the corner of my nail?? :)

Unknown said...

excellent question! nail polish remover (the kind with acetone)will remove the marker!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up with the blister bit - I will be careful when I share info regarding that!

RED said...

You, miss Sarah, never cease to amaze me - and make me laugh. I love coming here to see what you've come up with to talk about today, and I can almost always relate. You outdid yourself today - most impressed you creative thang you!

Jewels said...

Those are fantastic hints!! I would have never had that much creativity with office supplies!!!

Anonymous said...

Genius. I will file these away for later.

Anonymous said...

I have another practical use for a black sharpie....u know when ur favorite pair of black stilettos starts to chip away at the bottom of the heel from rough nights stumbling around after too much wine?? well coloring in the bottoms with a black sharpie hides the exposed heel until u can afford the new pair. I guess it would work with any heeled shoe as long as u can find its matching colored sharpie :)

Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

Sarah said...

kelly that's a good tip. oh sharpies, is there anything you can't do?

Anonymous said...

I have used a paper clip as a bobby pin on many occasions. And the maxi pad idea? Genius! Also, my pant button popped off one day due to a loose string and what did I use? A binder clip! Perfect. Great post! Came over from Grace's site, btw.