Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!



It's true. At restaurants across the country tonight you can order a glass and know that hundreds of thousands of people across the world are trying out the new Beaujolais with you, right at that moment.

Some fun facts about Beaujolais Nouveau:

*By French Law, Beaujolais can NOT be released before the Third Thursday of November each year.

*Even though it is a red wine, it is about as close to white as you can get as far as taste goes, due to the fact that the way it is made creates a tannin-free red (and most people who prefer white wine over red will agree: fuck a tannin!). It's fruity, it's juicy and it is a red that is best served CHILLED (see my post below to understand why I am psyched)

*All the grapes in the Beaujolais region must be picked by hand. These are the only vineyards, along with Champagne, where hand harvesting is mandatory.

*It's only about $7-$10 a bottle. This is not the favorite wine of wine snobs, but it's fun and fruity and it's TRADITION.

So go out today and buy a bottle, liquor stores all over the place are having tasting parties all day, most notably Marty's on Washington Street in Newton. And lots of restaurants in Boston are having beaujolais nouveau celebrations tonight. Andy and I hope to stop in to Aquitaine or Pho Republique tonight after the Shecky's party.

7 comments:

e$ said...

I have never been so pissed to have a cold. Even if I felt well enough to go drinking, I wouldn't be able to taste a thing!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...wine. I might have to look for some of that on my way home, because it sounds REALLY good!

Hm. Guess that means I'll need to pick up a corkscrew, too, huh?

Lys said...

I will be picking up a couple bottles - thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I actually looked this up last week b/c I forgot when it came out. I might have to pick up a bottle on the way home from work.

I also love the Beaujolais Villages for the rest of the year. :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am excited that this is coming out...I myself cannot tolerate warm wine...I know it is wrong, but I must drink cold wine.

Anonymous said...

I never have to think about when Beaujolais comes out because my parents usually order a CASE of the stuff. Yeah, they're a couple of winos. LOL.

Jesse said...

Hmm... I am curious to try this...
I wonder if I'll be able to find any next month...