Pages

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I am kind of gauche.

I know this about myself, as much as I am a stickler for etiquette when it comes to things like sending thank you notes and being a good hostess, i defintely have my tacky moments.

I'll start you off slow: I enjoy ice in red wine. I know, I know. When I told my dad he hated me for a few minutes. It's not like I would go in a restaurant and tell the waiter "Pinot Noir on the rocks, please!" but when I am home, enjoying a glass of Shiraz or Big House Red, I throw a cube in there to mix things up. I like it, what can I say?

Now in the same category of eating/drinking is that I also enjoy eating with my hands. Not just like with veggies and dip or chips and salsa but I mean like salads and stir-frys. I would rather have a bowl of salad on the arm of the sofa and casually pick at it than eat it with a fork.

Which brings me to the fact that on nights when Adam has class or hockey and I am eating alone, I eat in the living room, sitting on the sofa with my plate in my lap (or on the sofa arm as I mentioned before). That is when PRIME eating with my hands action can take place because Adam isn't home to poo-poo me about it.

So essentially were it not for social pressures I would be living in a cave and eating raw meat off the bone.

(Word to the wise: Do NOT google image "cavewoman" if your boss is standing behind you)

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

haha, the last line of this entry kills me!!

also, I am picking up your gauche habits. I put ice in my red wine the other night and Chris was appalled. haha!

~jeannie

Sarah said...

some people have trouble admitting how good it can be. and by some people i mean the non gauche :-)

san said...

let me try the ice cube in a glass of wine and i'll let you know how i like it ;)

about eating with my fingers... i like that, too, just not with stir frys ;)

e$ said...

i am totally a hands-salad eater. Wait - that came out wrong. I mean, I like to eat salad with my hands, not that I like to eat hand-salad.

but i bet you knew that already.

Anonymous said...

GASP! You throw a cube into red wine??? For shame!!!
The picking at food thing - meh, I can deal with that.
Though, I appreciate your confessions. I've been known to lick frosting off my plate if no one is looking. It's all good.

Lys said...

Wine and ice cubes.. I'm having a college flashback... *LOL* I just think what's right for one is fine - not like you are living by Ms. Emily Post or anything, right?

I can only drink red when it's chilled. While a friend told me that's "so wrong", my response: "What do you want me to do - start buying wine in a box, because I will!" You can guess what she's getting for the holidays ;)

Anonymous said...

Raise your hand if you did, in fact, Google "cavewoman." *raises hand*

Jenny said...

If I am having wine at home (usually white, as I'm not a fan of red) and it hasn't been chilled? You know there's an ice cube in there!