Pages

Friday, May 13, 2005

i'll admit it, i have an addiction.

my drug of choice? DHA

in other words, i have become a tan-aholic.

in the past 3 weeks i have been liberally applying self tanner whenever i see fit, i have been Mist-On Tanning twice, and i am happy to say i am pretty damn tan now.

i have even began to use self tanner instead of facial moistierizer every other day.

and still, it's never enough.

at Glow (the Mist-On Tanning Salon) with Jenny yesterday i was checking out the other girls in the waiting room to see how tan they were (luckily, they were all pretty pale). and when i got home i kept checking in the mirror to see how things were progressing. even today i keep staring down at my bronze arm, and thinking about how maybe i will have time on Sunday to go mist-tanning again. i can't stop!

i feel like i am steps away from being a full blown addict and keeping self-tanner in my purse at all times in case i need a fix.

i think there must be a support group somewhere for this.

it should also be noted that sunless tanning is not for the faint of heart. especially at Glow. you are rushed into a tiny room which houses this somewhat scary looking gas-chamber-esque machine



and you are given a few minutes to strip, lotion up your hands and feet, don your shower cap and then it's GO GO GO into the tanning chamber and you are doing front-facing ballerina and right-facing warrior and back-facing ballerina and left-facing warrior (these are legititate tanning terms/positions, i promise) and then it is GO GO GO out of the chamber and grab your stuff and RUN into the changing room because as soon as the door to your changing room closes behind you, someone else is in the tanning chamber doing their front facing ballerina and you better get changed quicked because there is one changing room only and when the person after is you is done tanning they will be in your business like white on rice.

or, more appropriately, brown on rice. ;-)

and then as you leave you look in the mirror and sigh.

and it is all worth it.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Do they give you time to dry? Back when I was rich and could afford air-brush tanning (and by rich I mean I wasn't paying my bills) they'd spray me down then hand me a hairdryer set on cool to dry myself for about 30 minutes before I left the booth. I've never been mist-on tanning but like you, I'm an addict (I have no less than 7 types of tanning lotions/sprays/mousses on my vanity) and would love to try it.

Sarah said...

you dry instantly! basically its 4 quick blasts of tanning mist and after each blast of the mist is a blast of air. so when you step out you are dry! and it only takes a minute!

Anonymous said...

WHERE is this mist-on tanning you speak of? I MUST GO.

Isn't that sad? My stitches are no sooner out then I am thinking of how to acquire my next tan! At least this time it's safely. Does it get onto your clothes at all?

Erin
www.pinkandgreengirl.com

Sarah said...

kristen YOU would love this. it costs $20-25 per application depending where you go and it lasts 5-7 days. we will discuss tonight.

Anonymous said...

spray on tan! all the rage! 1/2 the cancer!

TMock said...

I love your blog! Thanks for this entry~I was wondering just the other day how this all worked and now I know! I'm blogging you! :)

DementedPhotographer said...

Pictures.

Yes, you heard me.

-G

Wardo said...

Painting your skin with a chemical that stains it brown for an extended length of time? Oh yeah, that sounds healthy!

But I second the motion to have pictures posted.

-A

Anonymous said...

girl, i too am addicted...but at least it's a nice healthy addiction, right? right? haha!! i love being a tan red head so much...it makes people go 'ahh', right?? ;)
~natalie
www.xanga.com/nataliedeltagam