Pages

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I belong to the DNC mailing list, and every few days I get an email from a sir named Terry who beseeches me to either give him money or forward lengthy emails to my congressmen/president/friends, none of which I do because a) i have no money and b) forwards are annoying, however politically motivated. I am guessing that these entreaties are not garnering him quite the degree of response that he will like because now they are getting almost nasty in tone and subject! Fpr instance, today I got an email entitled "President Bush thinks YOU are unpatriotic" and then a similarly titled essay about how much the president hates me for myriad reasons. What next? An email entitled "John Ashcroft thinks you're a slut!"


Did anyone read this week's issue of Newsweek? The title story is all about the decision in Texas surrounding Gay rights to privacy, etc (Who knew Sandra Day O'Conner was such a douche?). Anyway, The article was fine, but what I am really looking forward too is the "Letters to the Editor" in regards to this, which will probably come out in the issue after next. To have your letter published, you apparently have to be either
1) an expert in your field with degree, title and all that,
2) a high school genius, in which case you must preface your letter with "I am merely a high school junior/senior" and then shit all over someone using a veritable thesaurus of SAT words. It also helps to mention your GPA and/or National Honor status
and finally, my personal favorite
3) a man or woman from one of the Southern States in which case you must reference your blind faith in both being a Christian and Prez Bush, and have little or no concept of anything beyond these two subjects.


I am attempting to send a letter in, but not falling absolutely into any of these categories I think the only way I can be published is to lie either about being a student, or else attach some letters like PhD or MD after my name. I wonder if Newsweek checks these things?

Fourth of July is upon us: yet one more reason to hang the red white and blue flag taht symbolizes that which we hold so dear (and by that i mean it's a giant Budweiser flag that my brother stole from Great Woods a long time ago). Terry is so wrong - i am very patriotic. ;-)

No comments: