Pages

Saturday, July 05, 2003

I am so slap-happy right now. I think it's a combination of being hungover as hell and not having gone to sleep until around 6AM. I will say this: Jill's rooftop hacienda is conducive to all-nighters and conversations that you think are deep, but in the light of day are really incoherent.

So Thursday night kicked off the July Fourth Weekend Extravaganza. I met Jill in town and we immediately headed to Martignetti's for provisions. BY provisions I mean Vodka, Apple Vodka and, of course, boxed wine. Is there anything better than boxed wine? $9 for 5 liters of wine that comes with it's own twisty tap! We then set about to drinking, listening to Spice Girls and getting all glittered up for a night out at Manray. We arrived fashionably late (Who actually goes to Manray before 12:30?), myself in a hot pink boa and jill in a flourescent green one, and once we got in we set about doing Cosby dances and rocking out to fabulous remixes of Beyonce, Christina and Britney. We arrived back home, blindingly drunk and called the Bs, leaving what later proved to be incoherent messages, and then passed out among feathers and half cooked pasta.

The day of the Fourth was spent watching the entire marathon of last season's "Single in the City" on WE (new season starts tomorrow night!), reading Jane magazines and taking the CosmoGirl quizzes entitled things like "Wht don't I have a boyfriend!?" As it grew dark, we went back to Quincy and met up with the fabulous Miss Meaghan, to party at Mike's, play power hour with boxed wine, listen to Mariah, engage in near-burning incidents with sparklers and bottle rockets, and watch the fireworks from Mike's balcony. Jill informed us that she will be moving back to Quincy which made our lives complete: now my girls will be all together once again! We even began planning out Halloween costumes, since they will require alot of preparation and also I feel about Halloween the way little kids feel about Christmas: i can never wait patiently for it. So after my third phonecall from Josh (i had been ignoring his calls due to embarrassment about drunken message left the night before) we made plans to all meet up at Jill's apartment at midnight. On the train ride in, we were the only people in our car for the entire time which meant we did some pole dancing, swung from bars, sang songs from The Little Mermaid and Evita at the top of our lungs and passed around the Apple Vodka like fabulously dressed vagrants. And then, as always when Josh and co. come over, we were all up until the wee hours of the morning, drinking and thinking we are very interesting.

So here I sit now, in the wrinkled dress I slept in, sweating Vodka and getting ready to think about showering. There are 26 days left before I leave for Lebanon and I have a million things to buy in preparation for it. I plan on just bringing 10 or 12 sundresses and wearing those for the whole time, since it will be balls-hot. I only own 3 sundresses which means I have alot of work to do at Macy's and TJ's between now and August 1st. Luckliy i shop best under pressure.

I am very excited for our book club meeting next Friday. We're doing Albert Camus' "The Stranger" which I read for a book club I was in last year and never go to talk about. I'm trying to be good about my reading and made myself a stellar little list for the summer. I am in the middle of Flaubert's Madame Bovary right now which I like alot so far, although Emma is a snot...very Sister Carrie-esque. After that I will be moving on to Steinbeck's East of Eden, since at Meaghan's urging I have rejoined Oprah's book club. Say what you want about her, but she is the reason I ever learned about Wally Lamb, whom I love, and without her I would not have read The Poisonwood Bible, or Memoirs of a Geisha, both of which I adored. Maybe I am not your typical English major, I love the commercialized sh*t and I don't care who knows it.

No comments: