Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

Total Recall


Danielle and I were having a coversation about the "Recall an Email" feature in Outlook Express. Basically it's useless since the email is already sent and probably viewed...all it does is alert the reciever of the email that you f'd up and are recalling the email.

And who hasn't sent an email to the wrong person before? It's almost a rite of passage in this e-world we live in. In most instances it's not that bad, and not a big deal at all. Something that can easily be cleared up. In other cases? A recall button just ain't gonna cut it.

I found this out the hard way, years ago, when I mistakenly emailed the PRESIDENT of the company I was working for as to how many martinis I had the night before, how many times I almost vomited on the train that morning, and how hungover I was. Luckily I was in with the IT guy and he saved me from a TRES embarrasing conversation with a man I already found incredibly intimidating. But before IT stepped in to help, I was at my wits end, having just learned the futility of the recall button. And felt that there should be another, more appropriate feature added for these dire situations.



Right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I accidentally sent an e-mail meant for a friend to one of my freelance illustration clients. And it was ABOUT the client!!! It completely proved what a doofus and how unprofessional I was. (Even though I was trying to fake it.) Oh my God!!! So mortifiying. I totally would've used that "kill yourself" button if outlook express had offered it. They still hired me for a couple jobs. But no surprise, I don't do work for them anymore.

Anonymous said...

P.S. This was YEARS ago, of course. I'm awesome now. Lol.

Anonymous said...

I accidentally sent an e-mail to my ex back before I was marrried -I had written it to get things off my chest - never intending to send it...well...um...yeah..it went out ...and through the grace of God I never heard back from him...

Anonymous said...

I was once accidentally copied on an email that listed two of my boss's salaries. I kept waiting for it to get recalled but it never did. Ha!

The one that did get recalled was the inappropriate (but hilarious) joke that someone in another region accidently sent to the entire company. I don't remember the joke, though...so I wish there was a "give it back!" option in response to having an email recalled.

Rebecca Jill said...

"Killing Yourself" or "Make Yourself Disappear" would definitely be two good options.

Nina Diane said...

no kidding......that recall thing is a joke.