Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What About Slob?

Have you ever known the emotional high of a newly cleaned space?

I am not going all Danny Tanner on you, don’t worry. I mean it is really only those who have messy inclinations who can truly appreciate how nice a neat work space is because more often that not that is not the state of affairs.

We have gone over this before, as a great French philosopher once said “Je suis une slob.”. I am not organized, I care more about having pretty colored folders than where exactly they are or what is in them, if something sits on my desk for more than an hour it is dubious whether it will ever be located again, and so on. I try to be better, REALLY I do. But it’s just easier more often than not to make piles of things ON my desk than to locate the appropriate place for them IN my desk.

But this morning, I decided enough was enough.

Rolls of plans from projects long since passed were thrown out. I unearthed some wire organizational thingies and organized my piles of papers into them, I took everything off my desk and WIPED IT DOWN WITH DESK CLEANER. I even emptied out my recycling bin and broke down all the boxes I have been storing in my office with the intent of using them for shipping when in reality I never need to ship anything that big I was just putting off having to break down the boxes. (I REALLY hate breaking down boxes). Or maybe I was saving them up to build a Nap Fort. Either way, they are now gone.

I even reorganized the shelves right outside my office that are not TECHNICALLY mine but I use them to store things I don’t know what else to do with.

And you know, I feel GREAT! My office looks amazing. I know where everything is. Everything is neat and organized. I want someone to walk by and ask "Hey where is such and such file?" so I can be like "WELL here it is right here where I knew it would be, (next to my Jade Plant that I forgot I even had and finally watered his morning but that is neither here nor there)".

All I need know is a vase full of flowers from the local market and it will feel like a whole new office.

I tell you, it is worth it to be a slob just to experience how good it feels when everything is finally clean and organized.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the hugest nerd EVER, because let me tell you, nothing, no NOTHING makes me happier than clean space.

I'm not too much of a slob, I'm just crazy busy, so the days when I can go nuts and clean up my office and/or my apartment are my favorites. I did laundry on Sunday for the first time in over a month. All that clean totally made my weekend.

Oh, and that feeling of being asked for something and knowing exactly where it is? Oh YES! I love that one, too.

Sarah said...

Haha I know! It's the most basic thing - to know where something is when someone asks for it, and yet when it happens I am so pleased with myself like "Am I efficient or WHAT?"

Gretta James said...

I always try to keep my office tidy but I'm just too much of a girl...

So for instance I have a folder and instead of it named like it should be "basic information folder" I titled it "Gretta's folder full of use" and I have lots of silly toys that people seem to leave me on the top of my computer I have a plastic gorilla, a plastic elephant, a robot and a plastic man with a horn. Seriously, if a desk was used to tell someone's character my desk would say very loud and very clear "I AM A WEIRDO" haha but in all honesty, it's a tidy, cluttered desk and I know where everything is.

Enjoy your tidy office - it wont take long for someone to come mess it up.

Gretta xx

MarisaJosephine said...

my home office looks like some storm went through it
but the next time i am avail to clean it would be next christmas seeing as i work two jobs
BUT
i am ready to make a better effort after reading this inspiring entry

marisa

RED said...

I am a pretty big mess also, and when I do clean, I go ALL OUT and really clean. It is the BEST feeling. When I tear my room apart and make it super clean I just sit on my bed and think of all the things I can do now, in my room, since it's clean (and I can actually see the floor!)(all I really do in my room though is sleep, get dressed, and store clothing). I might need to clean my desk off now - it's been on my to-do list for MONTHS! What a great way to start the day Sarah!

Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

A coworker of mine thinks its hysterical that I can't be the pile person I've always been - since my desk is now in someone else's classroom! I actually have to take the time at the end of the day to straighten up the desktop!

When this certain coworker and I taught 1st grade together, she used to come over into my classroom and straighten/file/trash things up for me every other week!

tulipmom said...

If you're looking to prolong that good feeling, I've got a hurricane-hit kitchen island that could use your organizational services. Anytime.

Traci Anne said...

I'm totally messy (not like dirty, just cluttery!) so I completely understand what you mean! This weekend, I scrubbed the house from top to bottom, lit some candles, and was randomly inspired to buy a ton of cleaning and organization products online. Random? Yes. Yes it is. :)

Sarah said...

haha that always happens to me. i clean...than i shop to fill up all the newfound space :-P