Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

That Much Closer to Getting My Car Keyed

As we have established in previous posts, I am a bit of a busy body in my building. I tend to notice goings on around my apartment and take note of them, and by take note I mean yell for Adam "HEY COME LOOK AT THIS!"

And I have now taken it to the next level.

There are two things in life I don't like (well there are MANY things but there are in the top ten for sure)

1) Ne'er do wells
2) People who think they are getting away with something when they SO are not

My two dislikes combine in the fact that for the past few months, off and on, there has been a mysterious car in my parking lot.

I don't mean mysterious like "Oh, I don't recognize that car" but mysterious like the person driving it comes into my parking lot at night, without headlights on, backs up into the furthest spot under some trees and idles there for a few hours at a time.

What could these people be doing? Why pull into a parking lot of apartments you don't live in at night without lights on and idle there in the dark under some trees?

Two words come to mind: Car Date.

Three more words follow: OH HELL NO.

I don't know if that is really what is going on, but whatever it is it's illicit if not illegal and I don't want it going on 15 feet away from where I live.

I didn't feel like I could call the police. For one thing I live in a fabulous neighborhood but on the cusp of two not so fabulous neighborhoods so they kind of have their hands full with things other than someone calling because the HJ-mobile is in their parking lot. And my landlord's typical response to this sort of thing would be "Oh.....". So Adam and I were pretty much on our own.

Until Friday night.

I got home from dinner with my cousin and as I was pulling into my spot, that same creepy black car pulled slowly into the lot, circled twice and backed into their usual spot. I sat in my car for a minute, and decided enough was enough. I got a pad of paper and a pen out of my bag and got out of my car, walked right up to the front of the cteepy car, looked right at the driver (cracked out blonde with bad roots) and blatantly wrote her license plate number down, then looked right at her again and walked into my building.

By the time I got up to my apartment she was already gone!

Victory was mine!!!

I don't know what I planned to do with that number, but I hoped that the very fact that she knew I had it would lead her to conduct her livlihood in another part of town. And if she or another creepy car comes back, right downstairs I will go again with my notepad and pen.

Call me Sarah: Concerned Citizen/Neighborhood Vigilante.

Or that old lady they always have on Law & Order episodes with her wig askew and terrycloth bathrobe who helpfully provides license plate numbers of every car she sees drive past her place.

14 comments:

Perfectly Plump Preppy 2.0 said...

Oh you never fail to make me laugh Sarah! You are too much.

Greens and Pinks said...

The writing down of the plates is most def the next level. Street justice!

Meg said...

You should change your name to McGruff...way to take a bite out of crime.

Anonymous said...

i like that old lady on L&O and i like you! i'm sad you didn't mention your rave review of RG, you love that veggie burger! ha!<3 danielle

Sarah said...

i'm doing a restaurant post later in the week and i will OF COURSE mention my new fave place and my new fave veggie burger (not so much my new fave cocktail though) :-P

Unknown said...

I notice things in my neighborhood too. Some of it is gossipy and some might be potentially helpful later. Jeff calls me "Mrs. Witherston" which is his name for busybodies.

Lori said...

HAHAHA. Weeding out the parking lot riff raff (and skanks). She must have been horrified to see you in Queen neighborhood watch mode writing her up. For some reasons I have visions of you with a black arm band ala Bobby Brady Hall Monitor.

Sarah said...

i actually prefer to wear a leather vest a la Dog the Bounty Hunter :-P

Libby said...

Oh. My. God. You've got guts, Sarah! Marching up to the HJ-mobile like that, I'm way impressed!

Krista said...

hahaha! I used to do that in my condo. My parking lot was PRIME location for the prosties to come conduct business. If I were out walking my dogs, I'd take them right to the car to conduct business.

pee on that!

Pause said...

Wow I'm surprised you didn't try a citizens arrest.

Sarah said...

that may just be my next step!

Anonymous said...

I was walking in another neighborhood the other day and saw something I thought was suspicious. I am sure I saw some sort of construction or repair con going on. So I memorized the plate on the car. It was one of those European long and thin plates. Sadly, I barely looked at the guy.

When I told my husband he just laughed and assured me the police would appreciate my efforts.

Ceecee said...

Oh hell naw...you are too funny-and you got some balls chick...lol...I would have NEVER done that...theres no telling what she could have done...I would have just called 911 for real!