Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Chèvre Burgers

I have been on a burger kick lately: buffalo burgers, turkey burgers, veggie burgers, salom steak burgers....and of course plain regular hamburgers. I don't know what it is about the warm weather but it just makes me crave a nice grilled burger with a cold beer on the side. Okay cold glass of wine. But still, it is the quintessential summer fare.

And factor in my endless quest to incorporate goat cheese into everything, you will not be surprised to learn last night I grilled up some Goat Cheese Burgers. They are pretty easy to make and SO yummy. I think this was the best burger I have had in a looong time (and I think we have established that I have had quite a few lately).

First off, you will need

1.5 lbs lean ground sirloin
4- scallions
4 oz goat cheese /chèvre
1 large onion
olive oil
salt and pepper
hamburger seasoning (optional)

Peel the onion and chop off the ends. Then chop in half and thinly slice each half. Heat up some olive oil (about 3 tbsp) over medium high heat and add onion, stirring fequently. After about 5 minutes turn the heat down to medium and let them cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionaly until they caramelize. While this is happening -

- Break the goat cheese into four 1-oz sections and smoosh (it's a technical term) between your hands into thin patties.

-Chop up the scallions thinly (white and green - the whole thing except the nasty root end (another technical term)) and mix with sirloin, adding salt and pepper as desired.

-Split into four equal sized mounds and make two thin equal sized burgers out of each mound.

-Place the goat cheese patty in between each set of thin burgers and pinch the edges to seal the cheese inside as much as possible





Once you are sure formed all the burgers, sprinkle some hamburger seasoning on top (or whatever you like to use, salt & pepper, adobo, whatevs)



With your gril on medium, cook the burgers for about 4 minutes a side (for medium well). The two patties, no matter how well you sealed them, will probably still seperate a bit so be careful turning them over, and try and turn them only once or twice.


Ah magnifique!!

Finally, put them in their respective buns and top each burger with a few spoonfuls of the caramelized onions.



Enjoy!

15 comments:

Vicki said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe. Joe says to keep the burgers from separating to put them in the freezer for a few minites before you cook them. I wouldn't really know since I'm not allowed near the grill!

Sarah said...

yay thanks to joe for the tip!! i am a grilling neophyte so any suggestions are helpful. truth be told i only knew how long to cook the burgers because adam was "backseat grilling" from the couch :-P

Unknown said...

That look sooo good!!

Greens and Pinks said...

Holy shit those look amazing! What a great summer dinner.

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness! Those look fantastic. I want!

Dana said...

Damn. I wish my husband liked goat cheese. Wonder if I could sneak these past him?? Sounds so so good Sarah! Thank you for the recipe. He's in California this week so maybe I will make a huge effort and not have cereal tonight after all!

Sarah said...

Dana maybe you could tell him you were just making cheeseburgers (without specifying what cheese)?

something tells me he would figure it out though :-P

J said...

Wow, those look so much better than the plain old hamburgers I've been grilling lately. I'm definitely going to try them soon!

Anonymous said...

i dont like goat cheese or scallions, but these burgers made me hungry. you are such a chef! <3 danielle

Libby said...

Those look SO damn good! Caramelized onions make my mouth water.

Rebecca said...

Um..... YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I thought I could cook. :)

I love goat cheese on anything...in anything, with anything. I just love love love cheese!!!!!!!!

Snoopy said...

Hi! I read your blog all the time. I have to let you know that I too am on a huge goat cheese kick. My boyfriend loved the goat cheese and shells dish so much it has been a frequent request (i add chicken to mine)

The burgers look great! I cannot wait to try them too!

Thanks!

Sarah said...

that is awesome! adding the chicken is a great idea, i will have to try that out.

Cath said...

Sarah, I wanted to gnaw on my desk when I saw your post! Deeelicious. Since I think you and I both love the cheese, here's a Texas recipe to try.

http://hookemdet.blogspot.com/2006/02/nicks-blue-cheese-and-jalapeo-burgers.html

My husband found on one of his Univ of Texas message boards and swears by it...we've had many a jalapeno and blue cheese burger and I must say, they rock. Also...can be spicy...stay nicely hydrated with the vino or whatever signature drink fits you.

And now we're definitely having chevre burgers tonight!

tulipmom said...

Is it dinner time yet? Love this recipe!!