Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Brave New Bathroom*

*Those with delicate sensibilities may want to move on.

There are certain philosphical questions that we all would like to have answered:

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If an old lady takes a dump on the floor of a public restroom and there is no one there to see it, is it still disgusting?

I am here today to address the latter of the two.

My company is moving in a few weeks to a new location and while we are all thrilled to have our own building and no longer be in an office park situation, the women of the office are particularly overjoyed because our company will have, get this, our OWN BATHROOMS! Our very own!! Not to be shared with a ladies gym and a health clinic as we do now.

In my few years at this location, I have learned much in regards to women's bathroom etiquette. Succinctly, women are filthy pigs. Used tampons on the floor, feces on the wall, all four toilets clogged with god knows what, rivers of pee on the seat, vomit in the sink... an unfortunate incident in which someone using a cane crapped on the floor and then managed to rub her cane in it as evident by the cane poo-tracks leading out of the door (and not towards the sink so you know no hand washing went on (yes I am a bathroom sleuth, what of it?)). It is a weekly occurance for an email to go out to the women in my office, from a benevolent coworker saying "ATTENTION LADIES! AVOID STALLS 1 AND 3!". And it's not like they mean "Avoid this stall, it is kind of messy" it's more like "Being anywhere near this stall will give you E. Coli.".


I'm not saying this happens every day. But someone crapping on the floor once is someone crapping on the floor one too many times. Oui?



And it definitely didn't happen only once!


Of course we have complained to the property managers repeatedly, and in their defense they have a cleaning crew in there about ever three to four hours but it just doesn't do much to help. I don't know if it is the gym ladies, or the people from the health care but it is a disgrace. If there was any ever any question as to why gay men exist? It's because women are fucking foul. I go into that bathroom and I never wished harder I had a penis and could use a urinal.

And the men I work with are all "Why are you so excited for your own bathroom? Who cares?". Man, I wish them one week of using our bathroom. They would not last a day. Because men don't dilly dally in the bathroom long enough to mess it up. And most men I know don't hover so crapping on the floor is basically impossible barring some enourmous invlountary muscle spasm. And would you like to imagine what any man you know would do if they saw a random bloody tampon on the floor? So they have no idea what we have been dealing with on a daily basis. And I am confident they could not handle it.

So yes, maybe we are a little overexcited to have our own bathroom. And maybe we did plan a disco party to be thrown in our new bathroom (complete with glittering disco ball and Gloria Gaynor soundtrack, no I am not kidding) . And maybe I can't answer the question posed to you all in the beginning of this post.


But in a few weeks this bathroom nightmare will seem like it was a disgusting, craptastic dream.



Sigh.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

and good morning to you too! <3danielle

Libby said...

Sounds like a description of the public bathrooms at Hampton Beach!

Lori said...

Wow crap on the floor now that is a new one! When I worked in Newton we had a woman take her lunch into the handicap stall everyday and stay in there for an hour. You could see through the crack her napkin spread across her lap to catch the crumbs chowing away. She also made no attempt to hide the fact she multitasked between doing her business (multiple noises) and fueling her body. The thought still turns my stomach.

kristi said...

EWWWW...Lori's comment just grossed me out! I work in an office where we have a small bathroom but there is another bathroom in the building that has several stalls. And I agree, women are just NASTY. Who doesn't teach their daughter to wrap up a pad?

There is one manager here who uses our little bathroom and leaves doo doo streaks in it every night. It doesn't get cleaned til' around noon and YUCK who wants to see that..and what is worse is the person going in after you thinks YOU did it!

Snoopy said...

Fortunately the situation will get better... Unfortunately not too much...

I wrote a blog just yesterday on bathroom ettiquite... YUCK

Sarah said...

That is my biggest fear - that Craps-On-The-Floor actually is one of my coworkers!!

Anonymous said...

I just left Dr Scott's office and it seems they have a problem in their bathroom as well. There was a sign posted on the handicap stall that read something like "to whomever is using this handicap stall every day. If you must cover every surface in paper towels, please dispose of them when you are done and stop leaving them here. thank you" Maybe a note like that will help? " to whomever is dumping on the floor. Please stop or clean up your own crap when you are done!"

Sarah said...

haha jenn you should read this

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2007/05/22/the-mad-bomber-act-1-sorry-about-the-language/

THAT is the kind of note i feel like leaving.

Perfectly Plump Preppy 2.0 said...

Congrats on the private bathroom Sarah!!

I went from working in an office building with about 400 women and three bathrooms with about 15 stalls to a small office with three women and one very tidy bathroom. Women are gross. I won't even discuss the scene at my old insurance company job but lets just it lies somewhere between what you and Lori both described.

Anonymous said...

Wha....? For the love of God, why?

Meg said...

Okay, so the cane poo-tracks? I'll be laughing about that one for a good long while. I'm not laughing at your plight or anything. But it's totally the kind of thing that I'm going to end up randomly thinking of during, say, a staff meeting. And then I'll have a little chuckle and feel like an ass because I won't explain why.

Dana said...

oh wow. And I thought dealing with my 2 1/2 year old twins efforts at potty training was bad. Nope. Much rather deal with them than geriatric ladies and cane poo. Really too funny Sarah!

Cricky said...

that's just foul.

Congrats on moving!!

Krista said...

I'm so effin jealous! Remember THIS?

http://loosquared.blogspot.com/2007/01/you-have-got-to-be-kidding.html

Gross.

I currently have an issue with an weird lady. I used to use the the HC stall only because I'm lazy and its the closest one upon entry. She will wait for me, listening to all me business, to finish, with seven other stalls open. And then RUSH in immediately after I get out. ODD!

Needless to say, I am a HC stall avoider now.

Sisters with Style said...

Gross, gross, gross! I know what you mean too! We used to have a shared floor bathroom too--really foul. Glad you're moving!

Sarah said...

ahaha i remember your story krista. also, i work with a "first stall caller". meaning if you go into the bathroom at the first time as her, she says "I call first stall!!!".

um, ok!

Rebecca said...

Oh. My. God.
I'm almost speechless.

I thought I worked with animals....

On the floor?????????????????????

I'm appalled.

Frankie said...

Seriously, I feel your pain. The women in my office are disgusting. I seriously think half of them are using a hula hoop while peeing.