Pages

Monday, April 30, 2007

Whine about Wine

As you are probably well aware, my household is a wine-loving household (well, lately with the pain meds Adam can only stomach the occasional Bud Light so I am now drinking for two. It's tough, I tell you). In any case, as wine-lovers we have an extensive collection of wine glasses. Stemless, edge-style, flutes, goblets - you know name it we probably have it. However my latest purchase of a quartet of elegant long stemmed beauties led me into my current conundrum (Kitchen items are like shoes, oui? Having no room is NO deterrent to adding more to your collection).

You see, they don't fit in my cupboard. In ANY of my cupboards. Or on top. And I don't want to keep them in the under counter storage because that's where a lot of the pots and pans and heavy duty glass baking artillerary is stored and I don't think delicate crystal wine glasses + a ten pound pot are the best of neighbors.

So I am wondering if any of you, perhaps those with experience having a small apartment-style kitchen and tons o' stuff, know of any glasses/goblets storage options that do not necesitate new furntiture or tearing apart my cabinets. Maybe an under-cabinet option. Or something that can be installed on the wall? I have no idea.

Right now I am just storing them on the counter next to the kitchen aid and let me tell you, having them out and about all the time just makes it that much easier to say "Oh a glass of wine at 1PM? Why not?

Please Send Help.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

GET IT

http://www.dwell.com/daily/magazine/issuearchive/6851102.html

Libby said...

We have an little glass rack that hangs on our wall that I really like. Not only can glasses be hung on it, but it also doubles as a wine rack. We manage to keep about 6 bottle up there, right above the glasses. Tres useful. I'm pretty sure it was from Crate & Barrel. Good luck!

Greens and Pinks said...

What about a small wine rack? I also love Libby's suggestion on the wall-mounted glass C&B rack - but don't go with the straight up wooden wine rack from Crate & Barrel, it's kind of an overpriced rickety piece of junk.

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, I can TOTALLY hook you up with a freebie. PJ and I had the same exact problem in our place. Our solution? A wine glass rack that you screw into the underside of your cabinet. (I think it was from Pier One). The wine glasses hang upside down by their stems like they would in a professional wine-sipping establishment. Our problem with the rack is that our cabinets are THIN. The screws ended up nearly going through my dishes. It had to come down. I just found the rack this weekend in its original box. It is yours for the taking. Here's a link so you can get the idea of what it'll look like (if your cabinets aren't paper thin, that is.) Go to www.pierone.com and type "under-cabinet".

Anonymous said...

We installed little glass shelving on the walls and it looks cute as it's not heavy looking..it's easy anD afforadable!

k e r r y said...

I bought a dark wood book shelf that sits in the corner of my dining room and holds all of my wine glasses and such. Another piece of furniture may not be what you are looking for but it does add a nice touch to the dining area.

To Be Announced said...

We've got the underside of the cabinet hanging rack and it fits about 12 glasses. Very easy access! :)

Jenni said...

My sister got me a small countertop wine rack for Christmas last year and it has a place for 3 bottles and hanging capabilities for 6 glasses. It's really cute. I'm not sure where she got it...maybe Target?

Anonymous said...

I've seen the wine racks that hold glasses too at Ikea and they are totally cute!

Lori said...

Sarah,

I used the pottery barn wine wall mounted floating wine racks for both bottles and glasses when I had a smaller condo in Quincy. They looked stellar and stored a lot...just be sure to reinforce if you use the one that holds the bottles broken wine is no laughing matter :)

Sarah said...

thanks for all the great ideas/tips! you guys have saved me (and my counter space) :-)

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent site regarding short glasses and custom short glasses. Here is one more site which explains about custom short glasses, Spread your business name with simple and effective advertising using our promotional products.For more details visit:

href="http://www.mylogoimprinted.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Shot_G
lasses">shortglasses