Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Somewhere, Martha Stewart is Crying

In my early twenties, my good friend Jill and I liked to throw parties and my friends liked to attend them. Jill lived in a small but really party-conducive third floor apartment overlooking Salem Street in the North End. We didn't need a reason, or a theme but by god we tried to think of one whenever we could. The following represents a true list of some of the theme parties we threw.

Come As Your Favorite STD - Everyone had to come as their favorite venereal disease (i.e. make a shirt with the name of it spelled out) and then give a brief, cheap-vodka fueled presentation to the rest of the party on their assigned disease. Jill and I were Team HPV, complete with matching black and gold tanktops. Jenny was Chlamydia, and chanted the opening line of her presentation all night "Chlamydia is not a flower" and I believe gave out stickers that said the same thing. Later in the night Jill and I went clubbing still wearing our Team HPV shirts and you would be amazed at how NOT a deterrent that is to men.

Temptation Island - When this show first premiered, we were OBSESSED with it. The Mandy/Billy debacle captured our hearts (and, let's face it inspired the first party I listed). Jill and I bought a kiddie pool for her kitchen and filled it with water. We decorated with tiki lights and drank roofies punch out of fake coconuts. By the end of the night the entire contents of Jill's fridge were floating in the kiddie pool. Initially we had planned to bring the kiddie pool up to the roof and use it to hang out in when it got hot, but seeing American cheese, pickles and assorted lunch meats floating in it pretty much made us want nothing more to do with it.

Cinco de Mayo - Not as original a theme, but we did buy and serve for the first time MEZ-CAL which made nearly everyone vomit and made Jill's apartment and our bodies smell like burnt rubber the next day. HOT. It was during this party that I dissapeared for an hour and was later discovered playing stickball down the street with some neighborhood kids.

Bean-party- Succinctly, everyone was encouraged to bring a foodstuff that had beans in it (including but not limited to burritos, baked beans, kidney beans, black bean soup, etc). I have no idea why we did this, maybe because of Boston being Beantown? In any case the night ended when people (read: me) got rowdy and started chucking refried beans out the window and we all decided to order pizza instead.

Tacky Yet Formal Christmas Party - This one was actually at my house. My friend Kate and I bought an obscene amount of fake snow and covered the entire office in it, purchased an abundance of obscene light up decorations and glittering abominations and encouraged everyone to dress like drag queens. Kate's boyfriend wore a red bra stuffed with candy canes. Kate and I wore matching red leopard dresses with black fur trim. I have a picture from this party (which I believe was in 2000?) of Jenny wearing a boa and being a little obscene with a banana.

I'm sure there are more that I can't recall. Suffice it to say that for a brief time in the earlier part of the decade, if you saw someone in the North End dressed as a hawaiian tropics girl, or wearing a shirt that proclaimed "Syphillus is Cool", or dressed like a drag queen...they were probably on their way to one of our parties.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a pic of me at your holiday party doing naughty things to Santa.

Also, every once and a while, I'll find sticker with a picture of a flower and a big red line through it.

Anonymous said...

OMG i LOVE theme-parties. the last one i went to was a 30ies-party at my brother & his gf's place and i got so drunk on gin&tonic that i have no memory of taking off my make-up or anything but i did... i can't believe you had a STD-party though... that's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I wish I knew you back then! I would've been so down with that.

Jenny said...

OMG - those are all awesome! I wish I could have been there to experience the debauchery. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny! When I was 18 or 19, my group of friends decided to have a "Depends" party, in which everyone would wear a pair of adult diapers underneath their clothes. We came up with this because of how often we had to go to the bathroom (due to all the liquid refreshments) and wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to leave the party to pee...etc., etc. The idea was that we would sit around in a circle, and there would be a big announcement when the first person had to go, much celebrating, etc. I still regret that we never did it...

Sarah said...

what a great idea!!!! i wish we had thought of that. i dont think i could bring myself to "go"..but definitely the idea of all going out in a group wearing diapers is hilarious!!

Rebecca said...

OMG, favorite STD is a riot!!

My girlfriends and I always do theme parties; we try to come up with one once a month, but sometimes it just doesn't work to be that creative regularly.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I'm always looking for a good party theme!

Britt said...

I LOVE themed parties. The STD one sounds hilarious & since I was obsessed with Temptation Island, I'm sad that one missed.
We've done a Saved By the Bell theme, just because I love the show & one of my favorites is Christmas sweaters & Combovers - everyone wears those lovely "sweaters" that your grandma gives you & guys dress like Clark Griswold with a combover...so much fun!

Anonymous said...

i have a picture of you and jill doing shots in jill's kitchen from the temptation island party. it's been in a frame in my room for years now. i absolutely love the photo, you would probably hate it.

i remember standing on the fire escape with damien who "accidently" dropped a can of beans and the contents spilt all over a white car and the can hit the cement. i can't believe i went to all these parties - straightedge and sober. ha! i guess not all of them, but some!

<3 danielle

Sarah said...

sober??? need i remind you of your time spent in a large cardboard box in jill's kitchen?

i love it. and us.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that my scanner is not working right now! I have pictures galore of all of the different parties. I'm really shocked that Mike actually decided to stick around since coming to those parties was his first real taste of Btree! He secretly loved it!

Anonymous said...

Those themes crack me up! I love your ideas!

Sarah said...

ahh jenn i need those pics!!! i remember one of you lying on the floor of jill's bedroom clutching a bean burrito. LOVE! <3<3

Dink said...

good point, but i was sober through the later ones. temptation island was the one with the box...i think? who the hell knows anymore! <3 danielle