Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Sex Toys On Parade

Is it me or is this the longest week ever?

Not to mention I am feeling particularly dazed since I have been up since 5AM this morning. How did that happen you might ask? Well I woke up to pee and on my way to the bathroom I remembered I had an article on Boston area sex toy shops due at noon which I could not very well work on at work (I work in a place where as soon as something remotely questionable pops up on my computer screen, someone who cares will walk by), so I put on a cup of coffee and settled down at the computer and worked steadily until 6:30AM.

I realized two things

1)I actually work really well like this. In college I would often set my alarm for 4 or 5AM to get up early and finish a paper due that day (Hey, procrastination is the spice of life!) and they usually turned out pretty great, if I do say so myself.

2)I am better at writing about sex toys than I am at writing about nearly anything else. I don't know how I feel about this yet.

While both are nice realizations to have, I could have dealt with coming to them at a more reasonable hour. But such is life.

And now a sex toy story.

When I was 19, my roomates and I went to the PRIDE, the gay march in Boston (which is ALWAYS a fabulous party). As we gathered near the Boston Public Library, staking out our vantage point, I was approached by a gorgeous glittering woman dressed in a sequined two piece outfit. She told me she loved my dress (A hawaiian print strappy sundress) She asked me if I would mind marching in the parade next to her car and handing out flyers for the bookstore she owned. She promised me a $75 gift certificate to her store in exchange for this and of course I accepted because 1) watching the parade is so much fun so of course walking in it would be even more so and 2) I like free things. So she handed me a tiara, a huge pink boa, threw some glitter on me and led me over to her car. At this point, I realized this was probably not your average bookstore I was advertising for because her car was an old school convertible COVERED in dildos. I mean front fender to back fender dildos as far as the eye could see. When she handed me the flyers I would be handing out, it was instantly apparent that this was not so much a book store as a sex toy boutique SLASH bookstore.

You might think that I decided not to do it. But if you think that then you don't know me at all because I was PSYCHED.

So I spent the duration of the parade waltzing down the street with a drag queen named Fantastia, swathed in my boa and tiara,and handing out 10% off coupons to this fabulous sex toy shop SLASH bookstore.

And later, I spent the gift certificate on City Year graduation gifts for my friends. Some may give their friends flowers when they graduate but I? I gave my friends giant jelly phalluses and breast shaped candy.

If that's not class, I don't know what is.

6 comments:

Frankly, Scarlett said...

Class all the way, baby!

HEHE how FUN!

Me said...

I always perceived you as a classy girl! :P

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! I LOVE drag queens. That is a fantastic story.

To Be Announced said...

That's a fantastic story... and YES, this is the LONGEST WEEK EVER.

Anonymous said...

Excellent story.

And definitely not just you. This, in fact, is THE. LONGEST. WEEK. EVER.

Sarah said...

Nicky you should come down for PRIDE this year!