Pages

Friday, March 16, 2007

I want my, I want my, I want my DVR

Hello, my name is Sarah and I'm a DVR addict.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. When Adam and I moved to our new place last August, we decided to get DVR as a lark, just to see what the big deal is. For the first month or so I never used it, didn't really see the point. I mean most movies and all of the HBO shows I would watch are available On Demand. What other purpose could DVR serve.

Then one weekend, I noticed a movie was going to be on AMC that I wanted to watch but it wasn't going to be on until 1AM so I toyed around with the DVR and figured out how to record it.

And then, later that week, I had to answer the phone during Law and Order so I paused the TV and took the call. 30 minutes later, not only was I able to watch the show from where I had paused it but (and most importantly) I COULD FAST FORWARD THROUGH COMMERCIALS!

And then suddenly I found myself LOOKING for things to do during my favorite TV shows that way I could hit pause, and then if I waited long enough I could fast forward through all the commericals. So I would start watching the show, put it on pause, go and check my email and then go back to the TV.

Then, I started needing more. I didn't just want to record new shows and movies but rather OLD shows I never get to see anymore. So I started recording reruns of old favorites so that when I was bored I would have something fun to watch.

Last Sunday I hit a new low and even called Adam from a bar and asked him to DVR the last 10 minutes of Rome EVEN THOUGH it would be On Demand the next day, because I really wanted to see the "Scenes from Next Week" and those are never On Demand.

I hung out with my brother (a fellow addict) earlier in the week and we shared tips and tricks for feeding our addiction, for instance instead of finding something else to do in order to fast forward commercials..he simply watches another channel while DVRing the show he really wants to watch. Genius!

I know I got it bad (and that ain't good). But I just can't quit. They say you are what you DVR and if that's true, then here is what I am:

-The last ten minutes of Rome
-Grey's Anatomy (I JUST got into this show a few months ago so not the new ones, but the reruns on Lifetime. I am up to season 2!)
-The Daily Show
-The Girls Next Door <--Super guilty pleasure but I can't help it. I love them!
-Golden Girls
-Frasier
-Assorted Lifetime Movies
- Assorted movies from channel 225, the Retro Channel
- Ace of Cakes
-Gone With The Wind (I recorded this in November but since I don't have it on DVD I will never delete it!)
-Assorted TLC specials like "I eat 33,0000 calories a day" and "Joined At The Head"

And if Adam is what he DVRs then here is who he is
- a million hockey games
- assorted sports-related movies
- Wayne's World
- Airheads

Yeah, sounds about right!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a recent convert to DVR and yup - addicted too. I DVR "mets classics" - basically the entire '86 world series. All new showings of The Office and Cold Case. I also have countless episodes of Growing Pains (what will Mike Seaver do this week?) and random movies that we don't have on dvd - Jaws, Frequency, Cheaper by the Dozen Part II.

I really don't know what I did before, tape things?

Lys said...

Life just doesn't seem the same before Tivo/DVR! My poor TiVo is so overworked... but I can't imagine life without it... and the episodes on my Tivo could be a whole meme in itself.

I must say - fast forwarding through commercials -HEAVEN!!!!

AnnaB said...

My TiVo is a staple of my life. But do you find that you go through weird purging phases? Usually, if I like an episode, I keep it as long as possible. After a couple weeks, I look at it in my playlist and have NO IDEA why I wanted to keep the episode. Which sends me on a purging hunt for the other crap I've been holding onto.

Sarah said...

oh definitely! i will DVR a movie and then a month later realize if i havent watched it by now, i am probably not going to watch it.

i refuse to let it get more tnan 60% full though, so I have to purge pretty often!

AnnaB said...

We're DVR bulimics!

Cricky said...

TIVO has saved my marriage.

We have had the crow on TIVO since May 19, 2005.

It just sits there waiting for someone to watch it.

Anonymous said...

is it a DVR that the cable company provides? or a tivo? if not a tivo get one.

CarmenSinCity said...

I totally agree with you. I love my DVR. I record the girls next door too. My roommate calls them the whores next door - but I like em!

I record Days of our Lives everyday, King of Queens, What not to wear and a bunch of other stuff. I can't keep up most of the time. Work is getting in my way.

I usually stay in the house on Sunday and have a marathon day. Love it.

M said...

<3 The Girls Next Door

Anonymous said...

I JUST got mine from our Cable copany and I am beginning to become a fellow addict! Welcome!