Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Deal/No Deal

Into everyone's life, a little budgeting much fall. We all have our splurges, maybe a fabulous face cream or a ridiculously expensive lip gloss. But if you are anything like me, for every splurge you engage in you also have a secret budget version of it. You may spend $20 on a bottle of shampoo but you have in your mind (if not in your linen closet) an inexpensive go-to brand that you can use as well. That you, admit it, like to use as well.

Due to the popularity of last week's fashion challenge, I thought we could do something similar but more in the interest of sharing knowledge among friends. This week, I would like you to list a splurge and a budget version of everyday beauty products. It's always nice to know what products people live and die by, and let's face it - we can all use one more thing to throw in the basket at CVS.



Shampoo/Conditioner
Splurge: Matrix (Curl Life or VaVoom depending on if I am wearing it straight or curly) ($15)
Budget: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration ($4) It is deliciously coconutty and the conditioner works just as well as the pricey stuff which is high praise from a fro-headed individual like myself

Face Cream
Splurge: Clinique Super Defense Triple Action ($39.50). If there is one thing my grandma taught me, it's the importance of a good facial moisturizer. This is the best I have found.
Budget: Oil of Olay All Day UV Moisture Cream, SPF 15 ($6.99) This is kind of my go-to face cream and I keep one on the vanity, one in my travel bag!

Lip Gloss
Splurge: Paula Dorf Lip Slides ($20+) Hands down, best lip gloss EVER (and I have tried them all, more or less) Glossy but not too glossy, sticky enough to stay on for a long time but not so much that your hair gets stuck on it (hello MAC). "Happy" is my favorite color.
Budget: Sally Hansen Lip Inflation ($5). Makes your lips super glossy, plumps them up a bit and has a nice cooling minty feel. And there is a ton of it so it will last you for at least a few months, even if you are a chronic glosser like I am.

Eye Shadow
Splurge: For going-out shades, nothing beats Urban Decay ($15). They have fun colors, from glittering disco shades to neutral mattes and they stay on all night.
Budget: My heart will always belong to Cover Girl ($3). The silver Disco Ball shade made my early 20s complete and I still bust it out when the mood arises!

Perfume
Splurge: Clinique Happy In Bloom ($39.50). The new Clinique scent for spring is perfect. I was never big into "Happy" but once I caught the scent of this light, floral airy fragrance I was hooked.
Budget: Crabtree & Evelyn White Tea and Birch Body Mist ($14). Actually the whole line of body sprays at Crabtree belong on this list. They aren't as sweet as other lines of body sprays and come in great scents like Pink Grapefruit & Cucumber and Clementine & Basil.

So let's hear from the beauty bloggers. You don't have to do this exact list, if you have a favorite expensive lipstick or body moisturizer or hairspray and a budget version that works well too, clue us in and share the wealth (or help us save some of ours).

Check out some of my fave beauty bloggerinas who were up to the challenge : Erin , Lys and Britt!

21 comments:

Perfectly Plump Preppy 2.0 said...

Lotion

Splurge
I am crazy for Kiehls. I love their Cherry-Almond Deluxe Hand & Body Lotion w/ Aloe Vera & Oatmeal which sells for about $20.00.

Budget
Jergens original scent (cherry-almond) body lotion. I believe I can get it at Walmart/Target for under 6.00 in the big ole pump. It is truly just as good as the Kiehls.

Sarah said...

i love the way that cherry almond lotion smells!

Hooker said...

GAH I got nothing to contribute other than more updates on your painting.

Sarah said...

sweet!! it looks fantastic! thanks dude.

Greens and Pinks said...

I will be doing this myself tonight at home where I can actually access links other than cnn.com and google.

American Idol + wine + inspired blog post = awesome evening.

I'm a loser.

MC said...

I think I'm going to have to put a little thought into this one.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but where can I find GOOD and inexpensive make-up brushes??

Sarah said...

I think makeup brushes are definitely one of those "you get what you pay for items". that being said, Sonia Kashuk does a line of makeup brushes for Target that are pretty amazing for the price. I think you can only get them online but I might be wrong about that. Check it out

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000FYTL10

Britt said...

I had a longer comment earlier but something happened but here are some of my favorite couldn't live without items...
1. Philosophy Purity one step facial cleanser - light lemon scent, not to foamy, I use it every night to wash & get make-up off & love love love it. My $10 bottle has lasted awhile, but you could splurge on the big $32 also.
2. Tarte liquid foundation - this stuff is awesome, has SPF, makes my skin look so smooth, has moisturizer - $32 per bottle, but I use it every day, so thats no splurge - that's an investment!
3. Cover Girl gel eyeslicks (ginger frost), I use put this on my eyelids and it makes my eyeshadow "stick" better & adds more color & its about 5 or 6 dollars

tulipmom said...

I've bought some of the Sonia Kashuk makeup brushes at my local Target store and they are pretty good.

Sarah said...

britt, believe it or not i have never tried anything philosophy. i've bought some of their line as gifts for friends, but never for myself! i may just have to check it out!

and tulipmom, i am glad they have them in store...i am going to look for them next time i'm there (which knowing me is like, tomorrow)

Anonymous said...

Im kind of a make-up/beauty product snob, just because makeup is one reason that i love love love being a girl..ahem excuse me, a woman! Anyways...my splurge is the Aveda Phomollient styling foam, it can retail anywhere from $13-$20 depending on where u get it, which isnt so much of a "splurge" but finding a place that sells it is a pain in the ass....anyways, its amazing for taming frizzies and fly-aways without leaving ur hair looking greasy or weighed down. I recently found that John Friedas "Frizz-Ease" hair serum works wonders...and it retails at target or walmart for around $5. It has put an end to my fly-away mornings.

Lys said...

Sarah: I say this as a loyal reader - GET THEE TO PHILOSOPHY! Can't recommend their products enough. I finally posted all of mine and don't you know Blogger crashed and I had to redo- so -one must click on the links for photos. What's the next challenge.

Sarah said...

kelly: right on about frizz ease! i have been using that stuff since high school i think? I use Redken Glass now more frequently, but John Frieda will always have a piece of my heart!

Lys you are always so on top of this shiz. loved your choices! I am a Rimmel girl myself when the mood strikes.

Anonymous said...

am i the only girl on the planet that does not do this? the only thing i ever buy is shampoo and soap. how fancy of me. <3 danielle

Sarah said...

and YET you always look great. we're not all lucky enough to be as naturally pretty as you!

brittany said...

OK...so that was harder than before! I think you have pointed out that I may be spending way too much money when there are cheaper and equally great things out there!

Sarah said...

yeah!! i dont neccesarily think you are spending too much because some things are def. worth it. its just nice to know there are always options!

Matt said...

Leave your gender biases at home, dear! Riddle me this, batman... lets see a more unisex version... though I do love the way this new silver eyeshadow gives my eyes the "pop" they have been missing!

Sarah said...

matt you are absolutely right. how could i forget my makeup-loving mens?

Busted said...

A few days late, but I've added my two (or two hundred) cents!