Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Speaking Up

The other day I decided to stop by TJ Maxx on my way home (quel surprise, I know)

I was in the shoe section when I heard a child yelling "MOM!! MOMMMMMY! MOOOOOM!" screechingly loud from across the store. I looked around, and only saw other shoppers also looking around and then it stopped and I went back to oogling a pair of silver Guess python sandals. A few minutes later I made my way over to coats when I noticed a little boy standing there.

Now, you know how sometimes when you look at something and you don't see the whole picture, but rather take in the scene piece by piece? I saw this boy and first I noticed the puddle on the floor, then I noticed his pants were wet, they I noticed his face. The first thing I thought was that he seemed too old to be wetting his pants (compassionate, I know) and the next thing I knew he was screaming at me not to look at him, which I admit I probably did for too long. So I went back to my coats and seconds later a store manager comes over and starts talking to the boy, asking him his name, where his mom is, etc. The boy would not answer any of her questions, nor would he move from his puddle. After a few minutes she finally got his name out of him and went over to the loud speaker and asked if the mother of XXX could please report to Customer Service.

Now, I never claimed I wasn't a total busybody. So I leisurely walked over to the Men's briefcases which just so happen to be right by customer service and half-heartedly looked at some Kenneth Cole laptop bags. A few minutes later a woman who looked to be right around my age came tearing up to customer service yelling "Who do you think you are! You do NOT say my son's name out loud like that! What the hell is wrong with you?".

I wanted the manager to say "What the hell is wrong with YOU, woman who loses track of her child for 20 minutes, hears him screaming for her (as the whole store did) and still takes her sweet time coming to collect him when her presence is requested at customer service"

But the manager, practically a teenager herself and scared witless by this woman, apologized profusely.

So, you would think at this point the woman would leave with her sad, damp son. But no, she just took him by the elbow and dragged him around the store with her as she continued her shopping.

I was appalled. But I figured "What can I do? It's none of my business". Well, it was enough of my business to hang out in Men's Briefcases for a while but that's where it ended.

So I went over to the home goods section to scout out a Lenox serving dish, and after a few minutes I heard that woman an aisle over from me, yelling at her crying kid to shut up. I sighed to myself, and as I went to leave I heard someone else speak.

"Excuse me, ma'am!?You are a disgrace to all mothers!! How can you treat your own child like that!? If I were the manager of this store I would have called the police. But instead, now I'm going to call child services" and as I looked over the aisle I saw this little old woman telling the other woman what is what as she whipped her cell phone out and started dialing.

The woman with the child muttered some profanities and made a hasty exit, as women all across the home goods section from the towel aisle to the baking pan aisle began to slowly clap.

Later at the jewelry counter, I was discussing this sad affair with the sales lady. I consider myself a person who speaks up when things aren't right...but really only in trivial matters, like when someone is rude to a cashier, or someone shushes my friend in a restaurant. I wish I was the kind of person who spoke up when it really counted.

And maybe you think what was said to that woman was rude, and none of that other woman's business. But she was the only person in the store that night who left thinking they did all they could have done in that situation.

The rest of us just watched, talked about it, and later tried to compensate for feelings of guilt by buying an overpriced pink topaz ring.

(Well that was just me)

13 comments:

Me said...

It's tough to be brave sometimes lik ethat, but DAMn, that was a feisty lady that pulled out her cell.

I have had many situations where I stood and wondered whether I should say something.

Anonymous said...

you should rent Sherrybaby, there's a scene in it that i think you will enjoy seeing. Just note, that Maggie Gyllenhaal is practically naked through the whole move. <3 danielle

East Coast Teacher said...

I would've done exactly what you did, Sarah; although, as I'm in constant teacher mode now, maybe that would've been the one time I would've spoke up.

More props to the woman who had the nerve to whip out her cell phone.

That mom certainly won't be winning "Mother of the Year" awards anytime soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow-great post!!! Made me think, I'll tell you that!

san said...

Oh yeah, I recall many situations when I stood and wondered if I should say something and sometimes I did... well, everybody should any time.

Anonymous said...

I'm a new mother and I don't claim to know it all, but I do know that if my child has wet his/her pants he/she is probably pretty upset and needs to be taken care of immediately. I know enough as a new mom that my own needs come SECOND to the child's. THIS IS THE WAY IT IS-NO MATTER WHAT. I realized that the day my daughter came into the world. Good for the older lady. I think we all need to speak up for those who are unable to speak up for themselves. I feel for the little boy. His own idiotic mother and her shopping needs came before the needs of her child. She should have child services called on her. If I ever behaved this way, I'd hope that someone would conk me over the head and wake my ass up to reality. Your first priority is taking care of your child. Always.

Me said...

Hey, about meat in Chinatown, totally on it. Will email a bunch of folks. What about next week Friday? Send me email let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm de-lurkifying. Hi, Hello!

That's is a tough situation, and I usually find myself doing the same thing as you. I *almost* get up the nerve to say something, but then my polite Midwestern upbringing makes me bite my tongue.

I always feel terrible that I don't speak up in those situations. Maybe next time I will. Hmm.

Anyway, great blog, lady! :)

teaorwine said...

Sarah, This mother definitely fits the incompetent, neglective parent category, which is soo very sad. I suspect this is not the first time, nor the last for her to exhibit poor skills. My heart goes out to the poor kid in "soiled" clothing. He needed help and who better to assist than Mom. Parenting has a fine line though; it is difficult for others to interfere even when the situation seems to suggest just that.

Anonymous said...

Unless the child is getting beaten within an inch of his/her life I don't think anything good can come of interfering. Think about all the possible outcomes and I think you'll agree.

AnnaB said...

I wholeheartedly disagree with the latest "anonymous" comment. Most abusers are sneaky and know when and how to beat their child without getting caught. However, there are signs that a parent is abusive that do not include actual physical abuse. For example, if the parent is publicly neglectful and/or narcissitic, the odds are that they are even WORSE behind closed doors. Imagining a possible outcome like saving a child from a damaging and abusive household should spur anyone into action. Our parents grew up during a time where families had to mind their own beeswax and look how that turned out (e.g. Catholic church).

Anonymous said...

I always worry that when you confront someone like that, they just go home and take it out worse on their child. I always imagine the mother beating her child when they're out of your view and screaming, "Don't you DARE embarass me in public like that again!!!" Like, if this is how they treat their flesh and blood in public, can you imagine how they treat them behind closed doors? That child has to go home with that parent, no matter what your actions are. You might feel better for telling her she's a bad mother, but it's not going to stop her from actually being a bad mother. At best, it'll just stop her from doing it in public. And then who will witness the abuse?
I think there are certain things that only wise little old ladies can get away with. Where that mother might have felt comfortable bitch-slapping you, she certainly wasn't going to do it to a 80 year old lady whith an entire store watching. This kind of thing is really difficult.

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to take action when placed in situations that are outside your personal realm of experience. But NEXT time you see an injustice, I'm sure you'll get right in there!

Regardless, just by posting this you are taking your own kind of action! Much respect.

Rock on!