Pages

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Who else but Adam and I would start out the night at my company's holiday party in South Boston, and end up at a gay club in Randolph at midnight?

That's just how we roll.

The night itself started off a little stressfully because we were LATE. The party started at 6PM and I was aiming to leave the house at 6:15 since it was only about 20 minutes away. Perfectly, acceptably, fashionably late. I had gotten my hair done earlier in the day, did my makeup and got dressed and was ready to go ahead of schedule. Unfortunately in our life it works the way that if one of us is ready on time, the other is hopelessly not even close. So Adam hadn't even showered by the time I wanted to be on the road. Instead of nagging, I dove into a bottle of pinot and held my tongue. So we were on the road at around 6:40, when we had to turn around because the passenger side seat belt in Adam's car wasn't working and I am fanatical about wearing a seat belt (as everyone should be!). So we drove back home, switched cars and were on the road at about 6:50. Late, but not too bad. After all it's only 20 minutes away, right?

Wrong.

A word about South Boston. That word is *@#$! At least that is how I felt as we navigated one way street upon one way street going the wrong way away from where we needed to be and traveling on Easts when we should have been on Wests and ending up at Castle Island when that is nowhere near where we should have been. That part of the city is very cute, I will give it that. But it is MADDENING. Especially for frustrated party-goers who are already late.

We ended up getting there around 7:40 so it was not SO bad. And of course everyone had a laugh that me, the one who was so psyched to for once have a work function occur south of the city, was the last one to arrive.

Anyway the party was held at the Epicenter and it a gorgeous, funky art space sort of shaped like an enourmous garage. They had decorated the place with tons of white christmas lights and it was very festive looking.



It was a great place for a party and it is always nice to see everyone all dressed up! We had a blast.

After shmoozing and dancing and taking advantage of the open bar for a few hours, we headed out. It was still too early to really call it a night, and since I was craving sushi we headed over to Fuji in Quincy and I sent out the requisite "Who is around and wants to hang out" text to the locals. Andy responded back to me that he was at the Randolph Country Club, if Adam and I wanted to stop by. I asked him what kind of function he was at and it turned out, to my delight, that the Randolph Country Club is actually a GAY Club. Adam, quite possibly the best sport ever, was down so after we finished our mango sushi and edamame we headed over to Randolph.

Now most country clubs you must be a member to drink at the bar, in that aspcet the RCC was no different so we filled out the membership forms at the front table which gives us membership privelidges for a month. We then paid our entrance fee and were in! Unlike other country clubs, the bar was filled with drag queens.

A side note about me ans drag queens. I love them, and I always feel the need to aknowledge them with a nod or a thumbs up. I have no idea why. I'm sure they don't need my approval. I guess it's kind of like a "You go, girl" reflex that I can't subdue.

Anyway, Andy and Danny gave us the grand tour and then we settled in at the bar with gin & tonics. The drinks were strong, and although as usual in a gay bar, those without penises have a difficult time getting the bartender's attention, it was a marvelous time and now that we are "members" we will definitely be back.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute photos! :) And yeah, South Boston..uhm.....@#$@*!

Anonymous said...

Your party dress looks great!

Anonymous said...

That place looks beautiful!

And woohoo for wearing seatbelts!

Anonymous said...

Looking good girl!!

Anonymous said...

You guys look so cute!

And I know Southie is a bit confusing, but as you said, it's really quite charming when you're not running late! :)

Andy said...

I love that you & your boyfriend will show up anywhere, anytime to meet me and comiserate about drag queens.

Love you.