Pages

Friday, August 12, 2005

scenes form a Newton liquor-and-gourmet-foods-store

i stopped into Marty's, as i usually do once or twice a week to stock up on wine, cheese, crackers, tomato+mozarella+red onion salad, what have you. on this particular excursion i was running in quickly, at the end of my lunch break, to purchase a bottle of Lebanese wine for my parents since i had tapped into their bottle at home earlier in the week and wanted to replace it.

i knew exactly where it was, so i ran in, grabbed a bottle and hurried over to the cashiers. there was one register open and at the last possible woman, a tall woman with a grey mullet-esque
'do looking like an LL bean model hopped in front of me. and by "hopped" i mean she shoved her two huge baskets of stuff in front of me and then kicked across a box of about 7 wine bottles. and then had the nerve to smile apologetically at me as though the baskets flew out of her hands and nearly on my feet and she had nothing to do with it.

so the lone cashier (who knows me since i am there so often) says "ma'am can i just take this girl since she has only one thing?" and the woman replies " no, sorry" and then smiles again at me.

if you are going to act like a heinous beast, at least don't SMILE at me. you wretch.

anyway it got me thinking. whenever i am in line, and i have tons of things. if the line is not too long and the person behind me only has one thing then i will usually tell them to go in front of me because that is the nice thing to do. and yet this NEVER happens to me. i will have one thing and Miss Thing with 40 items will rush to get in front of me and then inevitably will have 100 coupons and be writing a check.

there is no justice in the world, i tell you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awful!!! I've never had someone who REFUSED to let me go in front. And I'm always that person who will let others go first, too. It only makes sense. I think if it was me, I'd have been rude, and pretended I didn't hear her say "no" and just shove her out of the way and let the checkout lady ring me up. 0:)

Sarah said...

haha erin you are so succinct