Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

i've heard people say that if you instinctually cover the passenger seat of the car you are driving with your arm when you are forced to stop short, it means that you have maternal instincts. i guess the thought behind this is your body is trying to prevent imaginary offspring who may be riding next to you from flying through the windsheild, or something.

(i know it is also an excuse to grope women, but this post is not a Seinfeld reference)

anyway, in my travels i have been forced to brake hard many times and have never felt my arm reach across the seat next to me in a protective gesture. if anything my hands are gripping the wheel so tight that moving them would be impossible.

and i feel inadequate. this (among several other things) is proof of my lack of maternal instinct! i don't even care if my imaginary children go flying through the windsheild!!!! i am only out for myself!

and then this morning i am driving down the street with my fabulous white Mango hobo bag on the seat next to me, and suddenly a squirrel darts out in front of me and i BRAKE

and my arm goes OUT!!!! and i manage stop my beautful white bag from flying onto the the dirty floor of my car!

(and i didn't even think about it!)

and i realized then, that i do have the maternal instinct.

i feel maternally protective about my handbags. they are my babies.

and i love them.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

i do that. i almost always have something on my passenger seat, so when i stop short the arm goes out to catch whatever might be there. i never thought of it as a maternal instinct until one day i was giving a friend a ride and it happened. i instinctively put my arm out and she said "you have mom arm!"

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing with my bag. I always put it on the passenger seat, and it's almost always wide open so I can reach in and grab whatever I want at any time. Whenever I stop short, my right arms juts to the side in order to prevent my bag from spilling its contents all over the floor. Then sometimes I do a little voice and say "Don't you stop short with me!" in honor of that Seinfeld episode.

I stand by my claim that every day has at least one Seinfeld moment. This is further proof. ;-)
- Sasky

Jenny said...

I literally laughed out loud on that one. And I so don't do mom arm when I have people in the passenger seat, just bags or stuff! So you're not alone. :)