Pages

Friday, June 10, 2005

i have good timing, i tell you.

yesterday i am driving home from work and i pass my friendly local packie (liquor store to you non-massachusettsians) and i notice that a Paper City Brewery van is in the parking lot.

SCREEEEECH. i brake hard and bang a sharp left into the parking lot.

you see, Paper City Brewery makes my favorite beer EVER, a slightly peachy tasting ale called "One Eared Monkey" and it is essentially impossible to get around here. sometimes Luke's has it, but that is a hit or miss situation since they usually only have 1 or 2 six packs in stock. plus it's in Rockland which is more than 30 minutes from where i live and that is too much for me (i like beer, but not enough to interfere with my inherent laziness). and no bars serve it that I know of, and no other packies ever have it or have even heard of it so i have learned to settle for Old Concord Grape Ale, which is also good and a little fruity which is how i like my brews.

anyway, so i peal into this parking lot and out of my car and i ask the man at the counter if they have a delivery of Paper City beers? this man, unfortunately does not possess English language skills and for the first 3 minutes of our conversation thinks i am trying to buy his van which i now understand is not for sale.

FINALLY i take him outside and point out the van and ask him "where?" and he brings me to the backroom where Eddie (the owner) and the delivery man are going over his delivery of three boxes.

"Excuse me, do you have any One Eared Monkey in there?" i asked them
"Actually not in this shipment". the deliveryman said
"What is this Monkey?"Eddie asks

so i explain about how i love this beer and i saw the van and thought they might be getting some in. and the delivery man says to me "It's a shame because i have a crate of it in the van but its for another customer on my route".

i turned to Eddie with hopeful eyes and it was as if he read my mind

"Can you sell me that crate? If you bring it in i will sign for it right now!" he said to the delivery man, winking.

The delivery man looked at Eddie, and then at me, and then out at his van. and he nodded. "For you Eddie! Only for you! and for this girl who knows what she wants and has no problem asking for it"

(that's me!)

so i left 5 minutes later with two six packs of the wonderful peachy goodness that is One Eared Monkey, and the satisfying knowledge that in life, if i want something, all i really have to do is ask for it (and be willing to pay for it, of course)

4 comments:

Okgirl Speaks said...

Your blog has totally cracked me up. Hilarious! I have been reading it the last two days. You rock girly.

Kim said...

Interesting! I've never heard of this beer before, but I'll be on the look out for it.

Anonymous said...

Any alcoholic beverage with the name "monkey" in it has to be good!

carrotpenis said...

Gotta like a woman that knows a good beer when she sees it.