Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

so, i am trying a new finance tip that i found while researching what kind of credit card i am going to get.

(i do not have not had a credit card since December of 2003 when i used my college graduation money (all of it, sob!) to pay off my Platinum Citi bank card and CANCEL that expensive piece of plastic.

but i need one because my upcoming travel plans neccesitate it! i have enjoyed living off the grid for now, but the time has come to build me some credit.)

anyway, i am a terrible saver. i always have enough money to do whatever it is i want, but i have Not A Dime in the Bank.

so if i am going to have enough money to make this tax payment in August AND still go on fabulous trips this summer all the while still paying my rent, i am going to have to trick myself into saving.

this is the only way for me to do it, believe me.

so the trick i learned involves some serious trickery. i basically will fool myself into thinking i am getting an extra paycheck.

here's how it works (it only works if you get paid weekly)

i get paid every Wednesday, and by Wednesday afternoon i have already been to the bank and put that baby to work. but this time, i am going to wait until Thursday to deposit/cash my check (whatever the case may be)

and next week, I will wait until Friday, but it won't feel like I am waiting too long, because the previous week I had deposited it on Thursday. so i am really only waiting one extra day.

and then the week after that, I wait until Monday to deposit/cash the check

and then, in 2 weeks, i will have two full paychecks in my hand on Wednesday! the one from the week before, and the one from the current week!!!

(do you get it?)

so basically i am tricking myself into living off less, and saving a whole paycheck a month. and if i do that for three months then I will have enough to make my tax payment AND still get those fabulous Cole Haan sandals I have been eyeing, and go to Philly and Florida with Adam and all that fun stuff.

i will let you know how well this works out for me.

(and might i mention how Cole Haan now has the sass/class dichotomy down pat? seriously. this ain't yo mama's shoe store no more)

5 comments:

Raineydays said...

Ooh, those sandals are really nice.

Good Luck with saving!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find a guy that fit me as well as a pair of great new shoes.

Or at least one that I could deal with the blisters because, in the end, pain is beauty and no one really cares about comfort.

-Samantha-

Tara said...

Good luck with that...I need to teach myself that trick ;)

Erin said...

I'm very interested to see how this works out. I get paid every 2 weeks, so I don't think it would work for me, but Good Luck to You!! Cheers!

Larry said...

Sparky, I was just going to comment that I get paid every 2 weeks and try to save my check for a whole week before i put it in the bank. that way, i get a check the next week and it seems like i have more money and if i wait a week on the second check i dont spend money from the first check because my balance doesn't show the balance from my second check. kinda twisted logic but it is going to get me a new car in a couple of months. Try it you will at least hve one check in reserve at all times.