Pages

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

first and foremost: props to Monsieur Butler for being my most prolific guestbook signer. i adore you!

secondly: i just arrived from a Howard Dean Meet-Up at Borders cafe and am happy to announce that i am on the bandwagon so watch your email inboxes for emails beseeching you to climb on with me. The highlight of the meeting by far was the Great American Conversation in which we split into groups of 5 or 6 and discussed politics for an hour. My group consisted of myself, Meaghan (a remarkably good sport!), an elderly married conservative couple (who i immediately offended by confusing gay marriage with civil union), a 30-something year old woman, a gay reporter, and a 70 year old man who has never been involved in a campaign before but loves Dean so much he was compelled to join. So we discussed the usual: the perniciousness of the Bush administration, how Dean is the man, etc... My "youthful optimism" (read, naivite) was brought to my attention a few times but it didn't bother me. I tend to think I am pretty jaded for my age so anyone who thinks of me as an optimist is okay in my book. But then again they must be REALLY cynical. In any case it was a nice starting off point to meet fellow Dean supporters and sign up for events.

thirdly: my first day of mon/wed/fri classes brough with it yet more snafus of the scheduling variety. thankfully i was wearing lower-heeled shoes than usual and thus I could more effortlessly run form building to building getting various permission/signatures/forms to properly cement my schedule. This semester, being flustered is my M.O. but it seems to be working for me as I snagged a bookstore B who surreptitiously handed me a copy of Herman Hesses's Siddartha without charging me for it. If only this sort of thing could happen in Tiffany's. sigh.

No comments: