Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2003

The following is a rant involving my ever-changing political sensibilities: please ignore if you see fit.

Lately, it seems like class discussions at my school become open forums to voice dissent and unhappiness with the government, particularly W, as well as american democracy in general. This is all well and good, I realize that this is a “perk” of going to a liberal public university, and I am happy to be a part of an academic institution that allows and even encourages discussions like this. However, I think that sometimes enough is enough – I don’t like hearing anyone speak if they are generally misinformed, even if the sentiments they express coincide with my own. Making sweeping grandiose statements like “America is an Empire “ and “Democracy is Dead” is pointless and I think tasteless as well. And further more, running around screaming “No blood for oil!” is about as comendable as running around screaming “Let’s go to war right now!”, because it’s not a black and white issue, and it’s not something any of us can discuss beyond shallow understandings and indignant emotions, without access to extensive government documents, and a crystal ball.

Except, of course, Jon Stewart.

No comments: