Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Goodbye Dixie

I awoke this morning to a some very sad news - Dixie Carter has passed away.

Best known for her role as Julia Sugarbaker on the show Designing Women - I always admired her for that as much as for her 26 year marriage to Hal Holbrook (they were just the cutest together and I loved that he played her bf on the show as well).

(img from here)

Julia Sugarbaker's famous terminator speeches made a big impression on me as a child and again in my young adult -hood. She made mastered the art of the articulate, passionate diatribe and alwas stood up for what she believed in. I like to think Ms. Carter was like that in real life too bed!

In any case RIP Dixie Carter. Julia Sugarbaker will live on in our hearts and we will think of you everytime a woman tells a man what is what.









Here is a
link to the text of most of her great terminator tirads including my favorite (which I could not find a video of, the Ray Don speech).

A middle-aged swinger approaches the ladies in a sushi bar:
MAN: Allow me to introduce myself -- Ray Don Simpson.
JULIA: There's no need for introductions, Ray Don, we know who you are.

RAY DON: (smiling) You do?
JULIA: Of course. You're the guy who is always wherever women gather or try to be alone. You want to eat with us when we're dining in hotels, you want to know if the book we're reading is any good, or if you can keep up company on the plane. And I want to thank you, Ray Don, on behalf of all the women in the world, for your unfailing attention and concern. But read my lips and remember, as hard as it is to believe, sometimes we like talking just to each other, and sometimes we like just being alone.


My friends and I used a modified version of this speech many a time at bars in Boston in the early 00's. Thank you Julia and we will miss you Dixie!!



2 comments:

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Oh I loved her too! She was an alum of my sorority and I had the chance to hear her speak at a convention. She was simply fabulous!

Suz said...

Loved her, loved the show. Great post, she was quite a lady.