Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Head of the Class

Last night after work I headed into Brighton to attend class with my cousin, Anna.

And not just any class.

Wine tasting class at the Boston Wine School.


(img from bostonwineschool.com)

After throwing our super fun wine tasting party a few months ago, we decided before our next one (and there will be a next one) we wanted to learn a little bit more about really technically tasting wine. Coincidentally while we were mulling this over I got an email about Jonathon Alsop's Boston Wine School and a calendar of their available classes. His classes have cute names like "Living La Vida Vino - Wines of Spain" and "Dude, Where's My Carneros?". Since Anna and I are both pretty much red wine neophytes and drink whites more often than not, we opted for the charmingly titled "Que Syrah, Shiraz" to learn a little more about an unfamilar wine.

Located on Commonwealth Ave in Brighton (a few blocks up from Harvard Ave.), The Boston Wine School is essentially a storefront that has been transformed into a cafe-style classroom with students grouping around small tables housing wine glasses, a plate of cheese, olives, bread, grapes and over snacks, a pitcher of water for rinsing your glass and, because this is a TECHNICAL wine class, a spit bucket.

Woo!

The class was a great mix of about about twenty people, young and old, wine experts and beginners, first timers and regulars. And Jonathon, who runs the school and teaches the classes makes you feel at ease right away with his down to earth and well informed yet conversational teaching style. We learned the precise way to really taste wine, tricks for describing what you smell/taste (something I am pretty terrible at. Someone might say "Hmmm, faint notes of goat cheese and green apple" and I will say something more like "Mmmm. Me like".

We sampled nine different Syrah /Shiraz (they are the same thing, did you know?) over the course of the night, discussed their scents and tastes and whether they tasted differently with some food. Anna and I definitely came away with a few favorites. Even better, the wine that was far and away the favorite of the night (2004 Jade Mountain Syrah from California) was also the most inexpensive at a very affordable $6.99 a bottle!

I was also really into the 2006 Jacob's Creek Shiraz Rosé from Australia. I love Roses, I don't care what anyone says. And I will keep forcing them on my friends and acquaintances (well until the summer is over at least).

After the class we walked over to the Brookline Liquor Mart (which is now one of my new favorite liquor store) and bought a few bottles of the Rosé and also found out about the wine tastings they offer every Saturday which we will definitely be popping back for.

We had such a blast, and felt like we learned a great deal more than at the kind of tastings where by the third glass you are half in the bag (not that there isn't a time and place for that, believe you me!).We will definitely be signing up for another class, and another, and maybe another. I encourage you, if you are interested in learning more about wine, to check out their fall semester classes. There's never been a better time to go back to school!

10 comments:

K said...

If you life CA Syrah's, I'd recommend the Sterling Vintners Collection Shiraz. It's really dry and easy to drink. I'm also a fan of Moon Mountain's Syrah. I like really dry wines, less tannic than Cabs and if you have similar tastes, then I think you'd like either of the above.

Perfectly Plump Preppy 2.0 said...

It sounds like you had fun. I always feel so stupid at wine tastings bc the only thing I know about wine is if I like it or don't. I would love to take a class like this.

Sarah said...

Thanks K! I will look for those. Many of the wines we had last night were best suited for pairing with a meal..not just having a glass and relaxing after work so I am looking forward to trying these more drinkeable wines.

PPP - that is exactly why i wanted to take the class, to have something more to say about wine than "it's good" or "gross". haha!

A said...

I think that wine tasting is quite possibly one of my most favorite things to do. And I never usse the spit buckets - it takes all the fun out of it! Unless, of course, I were taking this class :)

Libby said...

Now that's the kind of class I wish I was registered for!

Anonymous said...

Hi A,
Once you've taken one of these classes, you will learn to spit. Everyone spits. You still get all the wine goodness without going home crocked. And you'll be able to pay attention to Jon and enjoy the last wine as much as the first one.
kat

Rebecca said...

Hey - thats good stuff to know. I've always wanted to go to one of his classes, esp the ones where he pairs with food and does these elaborate meals. But since he got all that bad press a few years ago for being, "ahem" inappropriate...I've begged off. So good to know you had fun.

I don't spit...though if you're going to be tasting a large amount of wine, you probably should. The thing is, esp. if you're drinking reds, your palate is shot after about 4 anyway. It's quite difficult to taste without really cleansing inbetween. :)

If you like Shiraz - Chateau Reynella Shiraz is one of the best around. It's a big wine. I don't much care for Syrah, it's not my style, but I love love love Shiraz. If you like California Zinfandel (red, not white), try Italy's version of Primitivo. :) Same grape - but different style, climate and soil. Similar to the whole Syrah/Shiraz thing.

Wine tasting is FUN. :)

Sarah said...

Rebecca I am thinking maybe a blog girls wine tasting is in order!

And I DO love California Zinfandel! In fact Ravenswood Vintners Blend Red Zin is one of my go to reds. So I will definitely be checking out your reccomendations. Thanks!!

Rebecca said...

Absolutely! A blog girls wine tasting would be a blast. :)

For Cali Zins, try some of these...

Sin Zin - AMAZING! (Plus, how fun just to say the name??)

Bonny Doon Cardinal Zin - Bonny Doon does an unbelievable eiswein knockoff, for the record. But I digress. Cardinal Zin is totally yummy.

Okay, let me know what you try and what you like. :)

Anonymous said...

next time you guys go, give me a call. i can walk to that place in 10 minutes. <3 danielle