Pages

Friday, June 08, 2007

Summer Drinking, uh I mean READING

If there is one book you need this summer, this is it:


It may not be on any best seller list, and it may not be being turned into a movie, but by god it is a good read.

I recieved my copy six years ago as a Christmas gift from my friend Sarah. It contains the recipe for just about any drink you would ever want to make, and a few that you probably never would want to make, much less drink. (gin + tabasco + lemon = oh hell no). It's broken up into chapters with delightful titles like "Gin", "Rum" and "Bourbon". Ah, these are a few of my favorite things.

I hadn't busted out this drinker's bible in years but earlier in the week I had to write an article for Shecky's on "Old Man Drinks" in honor of Father's Day and I knew who I could turn to for advice; good ol' Mr Boston.

And he came through in the clutch. I learned all about Manhattans and Old Fashioneds and Daquiris (the way Hemingway drank them, not the way frou frous on the beach do) and Negronis and Cuba Libres (much more fun way of ordering a rum & coke with lime). It was quite eye opening, especially since my mixology skills are sadly limited. In fact, when I cocktail waitressed in college, one night the bartender had to leave and asked me to take over. That night will always be known as "The Night You Could Only Order a " ____and Tonic"". But after reading about all these fabulous other kinds of drinks, so much more than martinis and mojitos and margaritas, I felt like I have not been spreading my drinking wings as far as they can go.

So this summer will be the summer of Manhattans. The summer of Negronis. The summer of Old Fashioineds. The summer that I veer away from the martini and the G&T in search of liquid enlightenment.

So pick up a copy of this book and come with me.

8 comments:

AnnaB said...

Back in my early 20's I used to order Manhattans at People's Republic and feel bad ass. It's a good drink and ego inflater.

Rebecca said...

Interesting... I'm curious to know what kinds of drinks you find yourself liking.

I'm personally a 'plain jane' kind of girl when it comes to my drinks. Simple, clean and refreshing. :)

Sarah said...

i tend to like drinks that are more dry/tart than sweet. i love gin martins and gin and tonics and bloody marys!! i also enjoy mojitos if they're made really well (i.e. not by me!). but i haven't been that adventurous with my cocktailing...usually when i find something i like i just stick to it.

Libby said...

I think I need a copy of that book right away! For the enlightenment, you know? I just discoverd a cocktail called The Bronx, apparently it was popular in the 1930's, it's gin, (sweet)vermouth and orange juice.

Andy said...

If you like dry/tart you will LOVE the Caipirinha better than a Mojito. also, I will join you in the Quest. Ashmont Grill it up!

Sarah said...

andy i had one of those ONCE at Masa and it was terrible...very bitter. but it could definitely just have been badly made.

also, i'm hitting up the AG tonight for cocktails with the girls, you should come by!

Negronis on me!

dancer said...

I'm just starting to bartend and I can't wait to go and grab a copy! During training I did learn about my favorite way to make an Old Fashioned...

along with the traditional ingredients I add some Rose's Grenadine with a couple cherries. I'm partial to the sweeter drinks!

Sarah said...

man i love grenadine. someone needs to come up with an alcoholic shirley temple!