Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Chicken Schnitzel

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. Growing up, it was a favorite dish of my brother and I and we would beg my mom to make it all the time. Adam loves it as well and so I usually make it a few times a month. It's easy to make and you probably have all of the ingredients on hand already. The trick is to get the chicken breasts as thin as possible for an almost (but not quite) crisp finish. The lemon added during cooking and afterwards as a garnish (and a cool bottle of sauvignon blanc) makes it the perfect meal for a lovely spring night.

This version serves two with leftovers or three without!

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs (I like Pastene)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
salt & pepper

Cut the chicken breasts length wise in half so that you have two thin versions of the original breast. Tenderize until thin, about 1/8 inch.

Liberally salt and pepper (to your taste) the flour and the eggs and each piece of chicken,.

Dredge each chicken piece thorough the flour until well coated, dip into egg, then press into breadcrumbs on both sides until thoroughly coated.

Let your breaded chicken sit in the fridge for about half an hour.

Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Cook chicken until breading is slightly browned (about 4-5 minutes per side) and cooked through. As you flip the chicken, squeeze some lemon juice on top.

Serve with lemon wedges, rice and green beans with some lemon spritzed on top!

Also, 1/2 of the pieces of chicken, served cold with some spicy brown mustard on wheat bread makes a divine sandwich the next day!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! Thanks I will let you know how it turns out!

Sarah said...

yay! you will love it.

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make a very similar recipe. But if I remember correctly, I think there was buttermilk involved instead of eggs. Yummy!

k e r r y said...

Schnitzel reminds me of my trip to Germany for Octoberfest 10 years ago. I remember it like yesterday! I'm impressed that you can actually make this!

Lys said...

Hmmm... sounds like a good idea for the weekend!!! Needs a cross post at ICG, dontcha think?