Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2007

When Hate Turns Into Love

I have never really been a picky eater, which is fortunate for me because I go out to eat alot. I love going out to new restaurants and trying dishes I never had before. I will order something off the menu just because I like the title of it, or because a character in a book I read ordered it once even if I am not 100% sure I will like it. This game of culinary roulette is exciting to me, and 99% of the time it's a success and I end up with a new favorite dish.

That remaining 1% can be summed up in one word: Uni.

Here are two more words: NEVER AGAIN.

But my adventures with raw sea urchin aside, I consider myself to have an equal opportunity palate, except for two items: mushrooms and scallops. It's a texture thing and I have never been able to quite get over it. And I am a self-hating mushroom and scallop hater because I don't understand why I have to be so picky about it. Some of the best dishes in the finest restaurants include one or both of these ingredients. Why can't I stop being a baby and just get on the mushroom and/or scallop train?

My chance came this past weekend. On Saturday night our good friends Nicky and PJ took Adam and I to a fabulous wine bar and restaurant in Nashua. Since there was a rather long wait for a table, and since I believe if there is a heaven it is in a wine bar, we settled down at the bar to take advantage of the restaurant's book of a wine list. After enjoying a few glasses (including the best chardonnay I have had in a long time) we were seated and as I leapt into my third glass (a sexy pinot blanc), I perused the menu and my eyes lingered upon the usual suspects: roasted chicken, grilled trout, sun dried tomato ravioli. Just about the only thing on the menu that didn't appeal to me was a jumbo sea scallops and risotto dish. It called out to me "You will hate me! Remember? You hate scallops! They are chewy bits of sea-bile thats only redeeming feature is that sometimes they come wrapped in bacon". But, with pinot coursing through my veins, I declared war on the sea scallop and when the waitress came back I ordered them with gusto and with confidence.

By eating them, and maybe actually enjoying them, I would conquer them.

I have to admit, my confidence waned a bit when the meal was presented to me. These chunky disks of white looked like they would be as chewy and as off-putting as ever. I sipped my wine for courage and dug in. As I cautiously placed the first bite in my mouth and chewed, perparing to grimace. I was instead very pleasantly surprised. The texture was tender and delicate, the taste was subtle...in short it was divine! When I thought back on the few times in the distant past I had tried scallops elsewhere (i.e. my parents house sorry Mom!), it was like they weren't even the same dish.

It's amazing what a few ill prepared versions of something can make you miss out on. I could have been sea-scalloping it up all these years!

In any case. The meal was perfect and I can cross scallops off my ever-shorter Hated Foods List.

Still triumphant in my bravery a few days later, I tried a shitake mushroom with my Seared Ahi Salad at Rock Bottom last night. As I placed I bit into the slimy fungus, I waited for another sense of pleasantly surprised delight.

But alas, no. I grimaced. Gagged slightly, and finished it with a swig of water, pill-style.

But mushroom, you have not beaten me yet. I will someday get over this hate and go frolicking in the land of chanterelles and shitakes. And then my list of Hated Foods will be gloriously reduced to a measly one. Which is fitting because I think we are all aware of the famous saying?

The Uni stands alone?

6 comments:

Greens and Pinks said...

Oh my god, Uni. So disgusting. And it's funny, often when I call our sushi take-out place, after placing my usual order, they'll be like "Would you like to add Uni? We have it fresh today!" Which leads me to wonder if it's fresh TODAY, what the hell is it every other day?

Gross.

Anonymous said...

Actually, UnWined is in Manchester.
(For any readers who are interested in going there).
I'm thinking I might be able to get you over the mushroom thing with a fabulous portobello "burger" recipe I have. Aside from the giant grilled mushroom, it involves a sweet balsamic vinagrette dressing, fresh mozarella, rosemary, and roasted red peppers on a bun. It's delish. I promise I won't even be insulted if you can't still can't bring yourself to eat it. More portobellos for me! But I feel ya on the scallop thing. I'm still not brave enough to do it. Even at UnWined.

kate.d. said...

oh goodness do i love scallops. i kind of hate the word "scallop," but love to eat them.

baked, with all the butter and bread crumbs?? oh my god, heaven. heaven in a little oven-heated ceramic bowl.

thank goodness i kinda wimped on my whole going vegetarian thing and left seafood on the list of "acceptable food to eat" :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad about the scallops! Shitake are probably my least favorite mushrooms and I was actually going to go with Nicky's suggestion. Try portabello - or a button mushroom - typically found in a house salad or marinated in a salad bar. They are the friendlier of the fungus. ha!

Anonymous said...

How can you eat sushi but be squeeged out by anything else? I have desperately tried to like sushi but alas it is not to be. I love scallops though, and mushrooms.I have almost gone to Unwined two times in the past month I should get there soon.

Andy said...

I know who is thine enemey and it is: The Turtle, Bernie Turtletaub. The man loves his mushrooms and sexy women!