Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I was looking around online the other day for some artwork for our bedroom (in spite of my best efforts, we have sort of a seaside theme going on in there). I am very picky about what goes up on our walls, especially the bedroom since I will be looking at whatever it is every night. So as I was perusing print, after print I sort of veered away from our theme and just started looking at what I liked.

I have favorite paintings in the same way that I have favorite songs, and favorite foods, and favorite places. Maybe it's the colors, or the scene, or maybe a memory I associate with that work of art. There are some paintings that just do it for me.

Growing up, I had two canvas transfers hanging in my room:

Van Gogh's Sunflowers



which I still have hanging in my living room, and Monet's The Artist's Garden



I have since lost that particular one, but I vividly remember being six years old and staring up at that painting, imagining I was that little girl in that jungle of sunflowers in Vetheuil.

Since then, I have always loved Monet. In high school I wrote a paper on him and was then inspired to buy a number of Monet art books, cut out all the paintings and made a ceiling to floor collage of them on one of my bedroom walls (my parents were PSYCHED). I felt like I had lived a dream when I went to Paris and spent a good hour in the Monet room at the Musee De L'Orangerie where giant Monet paintings cover the entire circular room and you can sit on a bench in the middle and feel like you are in that pond at Giverny, surrounded by waterlillies


(picture credit: Vantan on Flickr)

After high school, I remained pretty much stuck on the impressionists, and in my ignorance of anything else, scoffed at everything deemed "modern art" (my only experience with modern art was whatever was in the modern art section of the MFA). A few years later, when I visited my friend Kristen in London, she wanted to bring me to the Tate Modern and inwardly I was thought it wouldn't be my kind of thing, but of course I was wrong. It turned out to be one of my favorite museums ever! Jasper Johns, especially really made me see there is so much more out there that I could get into if I let myself be open to it. Life is too short to say "I only like this kind of thing" whether it's about art or music or anything in life. You never know what might inspire you.



Which brings me one of my current favorite paintings, by Barnet Rubenstein who used to teach at the MFA School



Although it is entirely too pink for Adam to agree to let me hang it in our apartment, a small print of it is hanging in my cubicle and it brightens my day a little every time I look at it.

So now that I have nerded on about my favorite paintings (and I could go on all day), let's hear yours!

14 comments:

TheatreChick73 said...

One of my favourites, though its nothing like my preferred art (B&W botantical photography), is Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party. A friend of mine did a short one-act about Renoir when he was creating this and its fascinated me ever since. I was lucky enough to see it in person when it was recently in my city. I sat in front of it for over an hour just imagining the conversations and being overwhelmed by the scope of it all.

http://www.phillipscollection.org/html/lbp.html

PS: Love your blog! It's my daily fav.

Anonymous said...

I have to confess that my month intensive course in France completely burnt me out on the Impressionists. (One course was French Impressionism, the other was a printmaking class.)
I don't really have any favorite painters anymore. I enjoy looking at everything.
I used to be a HUGE John William Waterhouse fan when I was in college. (I'm romantic like that!)
Also, I do enjoy Picasso's later paintings. Like, when he was trying to get back into a childlike mode of painting at the end of his life. One of my favorites? "The Joy of Life" How can you not giggle at smiling goats and a big-chested lady busting a move? I used to have that print.

Sarah said...

haha! Matisse has a painting called The Joy Of Life too, and it also has big breasted ladies in it.

If we learn nothing else from this, we should learn that Breasts = Joy

Anonymous said...

So true!
I bet you that if a woman painted "The Joy of Life" there wouldn't be a giant phallus flapping around. But there might be some chocolate involved...LOL.

Sarah said...

ahaha that reminds me something:
"if i wanted balls in my face, i'd just go home".

Anonymous said...

Kudos for your use of "nerd" in the present perfect tense!

Anonymous said...

ok, this is fun. my favorite painter is edward hopper, but i just can't bring myself to pick a favorite piece of his. can't do it.

and even though this is cheating (you said favorite, i should only be picking *one*), these two pieces come to mind:

a painting: magritte's "the banquet"
http://sol.oma.be/Magritte/files/TheBanquet.jpg

this is a really bad pic of the piece, but it's one of the only one's i could find. i saw this at the art institute in chicago and was totally, nonsensically captivated by it. i still think about it sometimes, for no reason.

a piece of art: barbara kruger's "we don't need another hero"

href="http://www.humboldt.edu/rwj1/104i/225.html

i am in love with this one. the fact that it was not just created and displayed in a gallery, but was used as social art - done as billboards, bus stop signs, etc in both america and europe! she's so cool, and the piece is so pointed and referential and fantastic. *love it.*

Anonymous said...

LOL! I almost forgot about that, Sarah! Yeah, my sister is really funny.

Jay said...

We've actually got a transfer of The Artist's Garden in our house right now.

As for your bedroom, you can't go wrong with a Justin Timberlake poster.

Anonymous said...

We are fans of Michael Goddard's olives!

Anonymous said...

Ha, you should come shopping in my attic. Matt went to MFA so anytime I need something for my walls I say "paint it" or I look threw the 769287589 paintings we have. But now our house is so antique looking that his art looks so out of place. Its sad

Speaking of, I still owe Erin a mermaid painting.

oops

Anonymous said...

i know this is very "cool", but when i went to the tate modern last year, i saw Roy Lichtenstein's 'Explosion' and 'Wall Explosion II'. Both I LOVED. They stopped me in my tracks. I debated for a long time and it still may happen, I really want one of them as a tattoo.
<3 danielle
p.s. anytime i see a painting of sunflowers i think of your bedroom at your parents house. it's ingrained in my mind! so funny!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo credit! :)

Sarah said...

danielle that is "very cool". :-P