Pages

Monday, July 25, 2005



in a weekend full of fun, good things, i will pull out one fun, good thing to talk about in detail.


Saturday Night aka Yes, Even though I am Old and can no longer handle dairy, I Still Know How To Party

I left my apartment at 4PM on Saturday, armed with a few different outfit choices and plenty of cash to head into Jill's apartment in the lovely North End for the night. I hadn't done the "Haymarket T Station to Salem Street" walk in quite some time (I usually drive in, but since I was staying overnight, i wasn't into paying $50 to park). Salem Street has changed so much in the past few years. I remember when the most remarkable thing about it was Bova's(which is still very remarkable. tiramisu at 4AM is always a good thing).

however there is lots to love now. particularly the addition of Neptune Oysters at 63 Salem Street, which is an adorable oyster bar/restaurant overlooking happenin' Salem Street. I didn't get a chance to eat there, but I did poke my head in and it looked very cute/romantic (and very delicious)

I also popped into the fabulous Shake The Tree gallery at 95 Salem Street where you can findeverything from beautiful, funky earrings and necklaces, super-cute Gianna Rose Atelier hand-soaps, Angela Adams clutches to Demeter candles and Thomas Paul dinner plates. A little pricey, but it has to goods to back it up. It's definitely an I Don't Need This But I Have To Have It kind of place.



anyway, enough about that.

I arrived at Jill's apartment around 5 and we cracked open the Sangria and got caught up on all the gossip via US Weekly and Touch Magazine. A short while later we loaded up on Vodka and Wine at Martignetti's Liquors, picked up some dinner for Dino's and settled down to get ready for the Elvis Costello/Emmylou Harris concert.

We left at 7:30 to head to the Bank of America Pavillion which is one of my favorite concert venues. It's right on the water, the acoustics are usually amazing, and there is never a line for the ladies' room. what more could you want?

the concert itself was AMAZING. i have been an Elvis Costello fan since i was little, but i recently came to Emmylou Harris. He gave a very energetic performance and sang alot of songs with Emmylou that sounded so familiar and yet I knowI had never heard them before. It was very country meets pop meets bluegrass meets rock. The highlight of the concert for me was his rendition of "Alison" that segwayed into a cover of that other Elvis's "Suspicious Minds" which Emmylou joined him on. All in all: SUPERB.



how fly are they!?

i had been hoping to run into Elvis's wife, Diana Krall, because 1) i love her and 2) i wanted to tell her that when i worked in the Jazz Room of HMV Cambridge, i used to play "Peel Me a Grape" on repeat and at least one customer a day would ask me who it was, and then buy the CD. and then i would have asked her "so can we get backstage?". but alas, she was not there. so we headed out into the muggy, blue Boston night to really begin our night.

First stop? The Blue Wave, where Jill introduced me to the new owner, John and his brother whose name I forget but who is a tatoo artist and was this close being on Miami Ink. supposedly. we shmoozed with the Blue Wave crew for the length of time it takes to drink three cocktails...and then it was off to Trinity in Fanuil Hall.

Now, i do not like bars in Fanuil Hall. they are usually filled with slutty girls and even sluttier drunk guys and while in my wilder days i was into this sort of thing, i have since mended my ways. watching a girl who is so drunk she cant even stand up, hump a boy whose pants are falling off on the dance floor, is not my cup o' tea, as it were. but such is Trinity. we met up with my favorite couple EVER sarah and dan, got tons of Mardi Gras beads, did some shots, danced to "Shoop" and were out the door to our old standby: Porter's, where we drank huge vodka tonics and closed the bar.

after a $3 cab ride back to the North End (yes, i could have walked, but these shoes were not made for walkin') and a quick stop at Bova's for a calzone, we headed back to Jill's for a late night carb-binge and fell asleep in the flickering light of Jill's TV showing :"Emma"

i awoke at noon the next day, and as i made my stumbling, hungover way through the blinding Boston afternoon light, i felt an odd sense of accomplishment that even though i get tired at 9PM these days, and even though i would sometimes rather settle in with an old movie and a glass of wine than brave the bar scene,

i can still hang.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heart Angela Adams and her rugs, but especially her new bag line! (ps - get her stuff at cost through Matt. Your wallet will thank you!)

Anonymous said...

girl, don't you love how we can still do that? friday, saturday, and sunday cooper and i were asleep by 9--yet two weekends ago we went out with our friends (separately) and stayed up til 5--we still got it! ;)
-natalie.

Chris said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Elvis. I've seen him four times (the first time was in 1987) and he always puts on a great show. I've heard him do the "Alison/Suspicious Minds" medley, and another good one he does is his own "Radio Sweetheart" into Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson Said." Priceless.

The Silver Fox said...

Emmy Lou rocks.

Anonymous said...

I love Elvis. The last time I saw him was at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC and it was insane. Amazing show. I didn't even know he was coming to Harborlights or whatever they're calling it now :)

Sounds like an awesome weekend!

-Erin

Sarah said...

Elvis Costello is a unique phenomenon: his music is so incredibly diverse and genre-defying.

Sounds like a fabulous concert/weekend.