Pages

Monday, June 13, 2005

say hello to the newest addition to my family: Bodhi



and to my mom, who is also in this picture (hi jacqueline!)

when my dog, Pogo, died last summer, my parents did not think we would get a new one. he had been too important and special a part of our lives to ever think of replacing. a one of a kind love. not something we could hope to experience again.

but after 8 or 9 months or so, we (my mom and I at least) got restless.

so we consulted cairn terrier breeders whose numbers we had from when we first got Pogo (for my 11th birthday) and most of those people were no longer breeding dogs or had moved. finally my mother happened upon a breeder referral service run through the Boston Globe where you can call, say the kind of dog you are interested in, and be presented with up to five local breeders.

as luck (and fate) would have it, the first one my mom called did have a few femail cairns that she was about to breed. she started to tell my mom how great cairn terriers are, and how happy she would be for choosing one. my mom interrupted her to tell her that we KNEW how fantastic cairns were because we were lucky enough to live with one for 13 years. the woman, Nancy, then wanted to know where we had gotten Pogo and we told her "a breeder from Brockton" and the woman said "Oh was that Helen Barret by any chance?" and it WAS Helen Barret and it turns out that before Helen packed it (and her cairns) in and moved to Pennsylvania, she sold two of her dogs to Nancy. and one of them, Chloe, according to her papers is actually Pogo's COUSIN so her puppies will be 2nd cousin's of our beloved pooch.

(this probably sounds weird to anyone who is not a dog person and for that i apologize).

and so my immediately felt that fate had had a hand in us finding Nancy (and Chloe) so she said right then that she would take one of the puppies (this was before Chloe was even pregnant!) but luckily she is a fast dog and became pregant two days after my mom first spoke with Nancy. and now, months later, the puppy has been born and my parents have named him after the Buddhist term for someone who has reached Enlightenment, but instead of going onto Nirvhana, chooses to come back and help others learn as much as they can:Bodhisatva (Bodhi, for short)

which incidentally is also a kickass Steely Dan song.

i, of course, will be stealing him and keeping him here as much as possible until my "NO PETS ALLOWED EVER!!" landlord says otherwise.

8 comments:

DementedPhotographer said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! How sweet!

-G

Anonymous said...

wont you take me by the hand :-) love him. falcour and bohdi will be friends forever! <3 danielle

Erin said...

I love that story! I'm definitely a dog person, so I understand.

Beanhead said...

What a cutie and I love the name!

Kim said...

He adorable! I'm a dog person too. I'm hoping that my Boxer and Ridgeback encounter Dr. Shrinker in the backyard someday, and shrink down to pocketsize dogs.

Jenny said...

OMG. Cutest dog. EVER. And I grew up with the other cutest dog ever - a big golden retriever. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your blog. I had to comment here: while I understand you and your mom wanted another dog to remind you of your dearly departed, there are SO MANY homeless dogs out there. I am sad that you contacted a breeder (read puppy mill, in most cases). Surely there was a rescue association for the breed of dog you sought. Also in the future, consider a mixed breed or other doggy in need of a home. This is not criticism, just a bit of advice from one dog lover to another.

Sarah said...

i appreciate your comment and view on the subjects, and i agree that it is important to adopt animals from shelters.. but not all breeders are puppy mills. the breeder we got bodhi from only owns two female cairns and has only been breeding for a few years... and the whole point of getting this dog is that he is a RELATIVE of our last dog, something that would not have been true of a pound puppy. thanks for reading, though!