Pages

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

ter·ror·ism
n.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

This word is so subjective that I don't even think it should be in the dictionary anymore. I hear it applied in the news to the suicide bombers at military checkpoints in Iraq, and I hear it applied by my friends to Bush, and I think if you take the textbook definition then both parties are equally parts right and wrong. It's just a politically-charged buzzword people use to suit their interests at the time, and it pisses me off to hear it at all, to be perfectly honest.

After school, I went on a book and CD buying extravaganza at Borders, this was mostly motivated by my deep-seated need to read Chalmer's Johnson's Blowback (which I sincerely reccomend to anyone interested in America's stealth imperialism/ the inexistance of unprovoked terrorism). But of course, I cannot ever buy just one book so I wandered over to the biography section and snagged Meaghan a fabulous graduation present, and then over to music where I came away with some Susan Tedeschi and Sting. I love Sting, i just can't help myself. And in fact, I have even learned to love John Mayer after I read his Rolling Stone interview in which he claims Sting is the best singer/songwriter on earth.

No comments: