Pages

Friday, April 04, 2003

so next week Meaghan and I are going to one of those 8-minute date events. I have always wanted to do this, but most of the events like that around here have a minimun age of 25 and alas I was too young. However Miss Kerins has uncovered a loophole and thus we will be speed-dating with the best of them. I have had reservations about this in the past, mostly because of my deep seated feeling that it's lame. But ever since seeing last week's episode of Single in LA I have a fresh outlook on it. I suppose anything is fun if you go into it with a "this is going to make such a good story" attitude.

Tonight I am finally going to see Nowhere in Africa which I have been dying to see since I first heard about it a few months ago. It doesn't get much better than a 2h20m film in German, English and Swahili. It's subtitled of course, although maybe I could get by with my limited knowledge of Swahili. Jambo! Wapi Cho? Maybe not. Whenever I see a French foreign film I try to ignore the subtitles and rely on my knowledge of the language. All this ever does is prove my abysmal knowledge of the French language, especially when spoken by French people. Although, sometimes I do catch small insignificant differences between the dialogue spoken and the subtitled translation. For instance: in Amelie, Monsieur Dufayel says "You've found my video camera by the window" but in the subtitles it leaves out "by the window". So you see - We lose key components of the conversation in the translation!

No comments: